Strain Domestication Engineer
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
The Strain Domestication Engineer will be responsible for testing and executing methods to engineer intractable bacterial hosts and will be responsible for submitting and maintaining regulatory permits for shipping engineered strains.
- 50% - Execute bench scale protocols to engineer bacteria using Joyn Bio tools and Ginkgo Bioworks synthetic biology platform. Write SOPs and maintain detailed and accurate documentation of experiments completed using an electronic lab notebook and Ginkgo Bioworks software.
- 50% - Responsible for filing and maintaining USDA and EPA permits for Joyn Bio. Interact with Joyn Bio’s plant biology function to determine permitting needs for strain shipping requests. Closely collaborate with the Joyn Bio’s strain curator to assist with long-term strain storage and shipping.
- B.S. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) with a major in a biological discipline
- At least 2 years of laboratory research experience
- Previous research experience in industry is a plus
- Previous experience with engineering non-model organisms (i.e. beyond E. coli and yeast) is a plus
- Highly organized, ability to collect, collate and disseminate information from numerous scientists and sources.
- This position will report into the Microbial Curation and Strain Domestication Lead
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts office with 5-10% travel to our Woodland, CA office.