Sr Research Associate - Plant Physiology
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
This role is responsible for developing relevant plant assays for the evaluation of microbial leads in lab, greenhouse and field.
- Responsible for evaluating the in vivo performance of Joyn microbes in biological assays ranging from lab, greenhouse to field. These activities will be conducted both in house at Bayer’s California facilities and through third party collaborators.
- Responsible for experimental design, trial execution, data interpretation and result summary.
- Ensure effective data capture, storage and analysis as well as result documentation.
- Collaborate with Microbial Engineering, Computational Biology/Data Science, and other teams in Plant Science to facilitate greenhouse assays and result communication.
- MS in Agronomy, plant physiology, plant biology, plant breeding, weed science or related field and 2 years industry experience OR a B.S. and 5 years industry experience.
- Experience designing and managing lab/greenhouse screening assays, ideally to evaluate abiotic and nutrient stress tolerance in row crops (corn, soy).
- Prior use of automation and image analysis for phenotypic analysis is preferred.
- Ideal candidate will also be experienced with basic microbiological techniques and have a solid understanding of molecular genetics and strain engineering.
- This position will report to a Senior Scientist within Plant Science team.
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio project teams across the company’s two sites.
This position will be based at our Woodland, California site and require less than 10% travel.