Boston, MA or Woodland, CA /
Digital Sciences & Technology /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Implement experimental design, statistics, and data science methodologies in collaboration with technical functions and program teams to help build engineered microbial products for agriculture.
- Experimental Design, Assay Development, and Assay Quality Analytics: Create novel scientific insights and starting points by analyzing plant and lab data from multiple in vitro experiments and instruments, including but not limited to high throughput formats, colorimetric spectroscopy, protein quantification assays, growth curves, microscopy, dose responses, plant-microbe interaction, seed germination, leaf damage, etc. Create standard analysis templates that enable programmatic and analytic best practice adoption.
- Data analysis and Statistical Modeling: Apply modern data science and biostatistics tools for analysis of lab, greenhouse, and field experiments, to evaluate and rank biological performance of engineered microbes. Seek opportunities to improve methods, operations, and analyses by application of statistical or quantitative tools. Work with Data Science team to leverage statistical and modeling expertise. This includes working with internal partners, i.e. data engineers, to productionize code. Build and maintain a scientific code base, developing QC and preprocessing pipelines, prototyping machine learning algorithms, and creating business-relevant visualizations.
- Foster a culture of data-driven insights: Build relationships across the R&D departments and CROs including Ginkgo Bioworks, and build consensus based on data-driven insights. Maintain a credible record of unbiased truth. Lead cross-functional data science teams to meet program timelines. Contribute to increasing the data fluency in Joyn Bio by mentoring others in data analysis concepts. Inspire others with new approaches, your way of thinking, and the potential for data science to accelerate their work.
- Create a data-centric culture: Contribute to increasing the data fluency in Joyn Bio by coaching and training others in basic statistical concepts and understanding of the potential and power of data science to support their work. Communicate effectively through listening, documentation and presentations, especially using compelling visualization tools to share analysis and interpretation of data. Continually seek opportunities to improve methods and analyses by application of statistical or quantitative tools.
- M.S. or Ph.D. or equivalent with a quantitative focus – some examples include but are not limited to Statistical Genetics, Plant Breeding, Quantitative Genetics, Bioinformatics, Data. Science, Ecology, or Microbial Population Genetics/Ecology, Evolutionary Genetics, etc.
- 2-3 years of industry experience in at least three of the following: experimental design [for field trials, greenhouse-based experiments, or lab-based DOE], statistical modeling, machine learning, optimization and simulation.
- Supervisory experience is desirable but not required. This is an emerging function, depending on the candidate, this role could expand to include building and supervising a team of 2-3 FTEs.
- Exposure to R and python, command line usage
- Experience with JMP, Tableau, R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich data explorations, charts, data maps, etc.
- Familiarity with modern data science tech stack and concepts (e.g. AWS, Git, Agile, APIs, SQL, etc).
- Experience with interfacing via APIs with multiple database types, including graph and realtime databases is a plus.
- Should have a proven track record of collaborating in a cross-disciplinary functional team.
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- This position reports to the Data Science Lead.
- This position can be based either at our Woodland, California or Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-20% travel. Joyn Bio may accommodate flexible working arrangements.
Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.