Biostatistician/Data Scientist [Part-Time]
Computational Biology & Data Science
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Implement experimental design, statistics, and data science methodologies in collaboration with technical functions and program teams to help build engineered microbial products for agriculture.
- Experimental Design and Statistical Modeling: Apply modern data science and biostatistics tools for design and analysis of lab experiments, to evaluate and rank biological performance of engineered microbes. Structure and simplify complex scientific questions and approaches to link analytics strategy and outcomes datasets. Seek opportunities to improve methods and analyses by application of statistical or quantitative tools.
- Assay Development and Validation Analytics: Create novel scientific insights and starting points by analyzing lab data from multiple in vitro experiments and instruments, including but not limited to high throughput formats, colorimetric spectroscopy, protein quantification assays, LC/MS, growth curves, microscopy, etc. Develop ad-hoc analyses into standardized and automated analysis pipelines. Build and maintain a scientific code base, developing QC and preprocessing pipelines, and creating business-relevant visualizations.
- Foster a data-centric culture: Communicate effectively through listening, documentation and presentations, especially using compelling visualizations to share analysis and interpretation of data. Contribute to increasing the data fluency in Joyn Bio by mentoring others in statistical concepts. Inspire others with new approaches, your way of thinking, and the potential for data science to accelerate their work.
- Ph.D. or equivalent with a quantitative focus – some examples include but are not limited to Biostatistics, Statistical Genetics, Plant Breeding, Quantitative Genetics, Biological Engineering, Ecology, Microbial Population Genetics/Ecology, Evolutionary Genetics, etc.
- Experience with high throughput bioassays and especially LC/MS preferred
- Multiple years of industry experience (5+ years preferred) with strengths in several of the following: experimental design, assay development, statistical modeling, machine learning, optimization and simulation.
- Strong communication skills, collaborative mindset and track record with cross-disciplinary functional teams.
- Analytical skills and mindset to solve real-world problems with applied data science; enjoys structuring and simplifying complex problems.
- Fluent in Python, R, and capable of framing problems as programming tasks; command line usage.
- Experience with Tableau, Spotfire, R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts, data maps, etc.
- Familiarity and experience with deploying machine learning pipelines in the cloud (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure).
- Experience with interfacing via APIs with multiple database types, including SQL, NoSQL, and graph databases.
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- This position reports to the Data Science Lead.
- This position will be a part of the Platform and Infrastructure team.
- This position is part-time.
This position is based in Boston, Massachusetts and may accommodate flexible working arrangement.
Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.