Research Associate Contractor
Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer beneficial microbes.
- The Contractor Research Associate will be working with the Microbial Engineering team and will leverage synthetic biology and biological engineering approaches to engineer microbes for sustainable agricultural products.
- Purify, characterize and screen protein payloads expressed by various microbes.
- Work collaboratively across Joyn Bio departments and the Ginkgo Foundry to deliver upon microbial engineering objectives.
- The position requires at least 85% of the time spent at the laboratory bench, and 15% of the time documenting experiments and participating in project and team meetings.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s (or equivalent experience) in biochemistry, synthetic biology, molecular biology, microbiology, or a related field is necessary
- At least 1 year of industry experience is recommended
- Experience with molecular biology, particularly protein purification, is necessary
- Prior experience running protein assays is recommended
- Excitement to learn new techniques and own routine assay execution is essential
- Strong communication and collaborative skills are required
- This is a 6 months contract position through a partner agency
- This position will report to the Payload team lead
- This individual will work with the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as potential CROs
- This position will be based out of our Boston, Massachusetts site.