Microbial Collection & Strain Domestication Lead
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks that applies synthetic biology tools to engineer better microbes for Agriculture.
The Microbial Collection & Strain Domestication lead will drive the acquisition, curation, and genetic tool development to engineer non-model microbes that will transform modern agriculture.
- Drive ideation and execution of innovative approaches and research plans to develop a pipeline for the domestication of genetically intractable microbes.
- Lead a cross-functional team to develop a best in class microbial collection and engineering tools for agriculture, and collaborate with the Plant Science and Computational Biology/Data Science platforms in order to drive collection, characterization, and engineering projects.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of scientists and engineers having variable levels of experience.
- Source cutting edge tools to enable faster engineering cycles for genetically intractable microbes, and scout potential partners for in licensing opportunities to advance Joyn’s microbial collection and/or strain engineering toolkit.
- Interface and facilitate collaboration with Joyn’s parent companies, Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks.
- At least 5 years of industrial experience in engineering genetically intractable, non-model microbes
- Demonstrated creativity, persistence, and dedication in the successful engineering and development of tools for non-model hosts
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in genomics, biochemistry, marine science, biological engineering, or microbiology
- Prior supervisory and leadership experience in managing teams of 2-5 people is required
- A proven track record of developing and building microbial characterization and engineering pipelines
- This position will report into the Head of Microbial Engineering
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This position will supervise a team of at least 3 Research Scientists
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts office and will require 10-20% travel.