Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks that applies synthetic biology tools to engineer better microbes for Agriculture.
The Bioinformatics Scientist will provide ad hoc bioinformatics support to accelerate strain engineering and help broaden our portfolio of elite non-model microbes. In addition, they will to help execute new and ongoing metadata initiatives to unlock value from our growing strain library.
- Understand and help build processes and procedures to define, collect, and curate baseline and forward-looking data and metadata for industrial microbial engineering processes.
- Collaborate with data scientists, strain engineers, and strain curators to enable analyses yielding high business and scientific value.
- Establish and maintain a high level of professionalism and positive rapport with the Ginkgo Foundry and Digital Innovation Teams to support joint efforts in defining ontology, metadata, and reproducibility for strain engineering.
- Support ad hoc bioinformatics requests by project teams by building custom python scripts to analyze genomic datasets. Work closely with a senior computational scientist in a pair coding framework to learn computational best practices.
- Collaborate with the Bioinformatics Platform Lead to support the in-house centralization of OMICs data.
- Provide careful evaluation of prospective computational tools for the management of data, workflows, and scientific processes.
- Coordinate and manage software training and adoption of commercial user-friendly bioinformatics toolkits (e.g. CLC Workbench).
- At least 3 years of industrial experience in engineering genetically engineering non-model microbes.
- Expertise in navigating customized, in-house LIMS and workflow management systems.
- Background in using bioinformatics tools for next generation sequencing analysis, visualization in the context of strain engineering.
- Familiarity with programming languages such Python/R.
- B.Sc. in genomics, biochemistry, biological engineering, or microbiology.
- Ability to contribute independently and collaboratively, and to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to present complex results, both verbally and in writing, to a multi-disciplinary audience.
- Ability to work in a cross-disciplinary team to develop a best in class data management tools for strain engineering.
- A passion for transforming agriculture with microbial solutions.
- This position will report into the Sr. Data Architect.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Computational Biology and Data Science team.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts office.