Scientist - Microbial Engineering
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
The Microbial Engineering Scientist will leverage synthetic biology and biological engineering approaches to engineer microbes for sustainable agricultural products.
- Drive ideation, development, and execution of innovative approaches and research plans to engineer microbes that provide season-long, protective benefits to crops
- Direct and oversee cross-functional team activities to generate and characterize engineered microbial strains in vitro
- Work collaboratively across Joyn Departments and the Ginkgo foundry to deliver upon microbial engineering objectives
- Leverage the Ginkgo Foundry to engineer microbes and conduct high throughput screening, and master custom software to become a superuser of the Ginkgo Foundry
- Active participant in the relevant Joyn project team to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project
- Ph.D. (or equivalent experience) in Biological Engineering, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or a related field
- At least 2 years of post-graduate experience required
- Extensive experience engineering microbes and pathways is essential
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects to completion through scientific rigor and project planning and tracking
- Strong communication and collaborative skills
- This position will report into the Senior/Project Scientist
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry teams, and external partners
This position will be based out of our Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-10% travel.