Scientist - Microbial Engineering
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
The Scientist - Microbial Engineering will leverage synthetic biology and genetic engineering tools to improve the performance of microbes for their use in agriculture.
- Design, build, and test engineered microbes that provide season-long benefits to crops
- Drive progress through hands-on lab work leveraging microbiology, molecular biology, and biochemistry tools
- Critically analyze data and collaborate with data scientists to ensure statistical rigor
- Direct and oversee cross-functional team activities to generate and characterize engineered microbial strains in vitro
- Leverage Ginkgo Bioworks’ high-throughput platform to conduct screenings and test engineered microbes
- Actively participate in the project team to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project
- Expected to spend 70% of the time in the wet lab, and 30% of the time managing projects and developing new approaches
- Ph.D. with >2 years or M.Sc. with >5 years post-graduate experience in synthetic biology, microbiology, or a related field
- Extensive experience engineering microbes
- Proficiency in high-throughput lab work; familiarity with liquid handling robots is a plus
- Familiarity with LIMSs and ability and willingness to tackle a steep learning curve i.e. with respect to using custom software
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects to completion through scientific rigor and project planning and tracking
- Strong communication and collaborative skills
- Proficiency in engineering non-model microbes or filamentous fungi is a plus
- Expertise in analytical methods and/or fermentation is a plus
- Knowledge of plant biology and agricultural practices is a plus
- This position will report into the Senior/Project Scientist
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry teams, and external partners
This position will be based out of our Boston, Massachusetts site and will require ~5% travel.