Senior Research Associate
Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is an ag-biotech company developing more sustainable ways to feed the world. Started by agriculture and synthetic biology leaders Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, Joyn Bio is engineering beneficial microbes found in the environment to improve naturally occurring processes like nitrogen fixation. With exclusive access to Ginkgo Bioworks’ automated foundries for biological engineering and Bayer’s crop science expertise, Joyn Bio is delivering the scale and power of synthetic biology to agriculture. Joyn Bio brings together scientists with diverse backgrounds at its two sites in Boston, Massachusetts and Woodland, California to develop new microbial solutions that address growers’ biggest challenges. For more information please visit www.joynbio.com.
- This role is responsible for in planta testing leading strains in greenhouse environments and collecting plant phenotype data and providing samples to internal and external partners and/or vendors.
- Be responsible for independently designing, planning and executing experimental protocols for evaluating strain effects in-planta in greenhouse settings.
- Capture data and conduct preliminary data analysis to ensure quality of data ahead of delivering to the data science team.
- Collaborate cross functionally to define strain-lists, proper controls to evaluate strain effects and also integrate required quality standards within each experiment given the biological question at hand.
- Regularly monitor plant health, growth, keeping logs of observations.
- Proactively identify and resolve bottlenecks and gaps that may impact routine work or efficiency in the plant science pipeline.
- Ensure effective applications of strains, plant tissue sampling, and data collection.
- Communicate with the project team to discuss issues, solutions, results and provide recommendations for future work.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and documentation.
- Be willing and able to spend prolonged periods of time in outdoor settings and maintain personal safety in adverse weather conditions.
- Be able to tactfully challenge the status quo to advocate for high quality science, reporting and negotiate timelines.
- Support other members of the plant science team to meet aggressive timelines by pitching in when necessary.
- This position will require at least 85% of the time spent at the greenhouse and laboratory bench, and 15% of the time documenting and implementing the project plan.
- A BS degree in Agronomy, Plant physiology, Plant science, Microbiology etc.
- 5-8 years experience working in Agriculture R&D settings in both controlled environments and greenhouse settings.
- Basic knowledge in experimental design and statistical analysis in JMP or R.
- Basic knowledge plant mineral nutrition.
- Willing to take on challenges as learning opportunities.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills are required.
- Preferred if the candidate has experience working with microorganisms.
- Past experience working with maize is a plus.
- This is a full time position
- This position will report to a Scientist in the Plant Science Department at our Woodland, CA site.
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites.