Global Field Development Lead
Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is an ag-biotech company developing more sustainable ways to feed the world. Started by agriculture and synthetic biology leaders Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, Joyn Bio is engineering beneficial microbes found in the environment to improve naturally occurring processes like nitrogen fixation. With exclusive access to Ginkgo Bioworks’ automated foundries for biological engineering and Bayer’s crop science expertise, Joyn Bio is delivering the scale and power of synthetic biology to agriculture. Joyn Bio brings together scientists with diverse backgrounds at its two sites in Boston, Massachusetts and Woodland, California to develop new microbial solutions that address growers’ biggest challenges. For more information please visit www.joynbio.com.
- Build and Lead a Team of Global Field Scientists to evaluate biological products for improved production of corn, soybean, and vegetable crops
- Field testing operations
- Streamline and oversee the global field operations through close interactions with Joyn Bio Program Directors, Business Development, Regulatory, and Department heads to assess product performance;
- Actively initiate and maintain communications with internal team, third party (CRO) trial managers, growers and farm managers;
- Develop budgets and manage resources needed for project development and team support;
- Ensure that the global movement of field samples for lab analysis is in compliance with corporate, federal, and state guidelines.
- Scientific leadership
- Develop creative approaches to assess performance of microbial candidates and rapid advancement towards commercialization;
- Implement automated phenotyping concepts in the field to improve efficiency and data quality;
- Partner with the Digital Sciences and Technologies Department to develop robust data analysis tools;
- Introduce a concept of formal reports for the field trials and foster a culture of organizing and maintaining records for all trial designs, results, summaries, communications, and all other relevant materials;
- Oversee the development of a global network of Contract Field Research Organizations (CROs) (NA and LATAM) to conduct Joyn Bio’s early and late field performance trials, including off-season trials.
- People and team development
- Build and lead a team of 3-5 field scientists with diverse expertise;
- Lead team development, review, and talent acquisition;
- Maximize people performance through creating growth opportunities, strong succession plans, and implementing change management efforts to prepare for future growth.
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Agronomy, Plant Physiology, Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences and related disciplines
- For Ph.D. and M.S. level candidates at least 10 and 15 years, respectively, experience of managing field team to evaluate transgenic crops and/or biologicals in industrial set up (large seed companies or startups) is required
- People skills
- Exceptional people leadership skills with the focus on employee development, maximizing people and team performance, employee motivation and retention are essential;
- Strong interpersonal effectiveness and negotiation (with internal stakeholders and external collaborators) skills are required;
- Successful candidates should have experience with: managing remote employees - managing external Academic and Industry scientists (CROs), conducting regulated field trials for transgenic crops or microbes
- Strong track record of developing and implementing the innovative approaches in plant phenotypic in the field
- This position will be in the Plant Science Department and report to the Department Head. Position will start with two direct reports with the opportunity for further growth.
- Woodland, CA or remote anywhere in MidWest and will require 25-30% travel
Joyn Bio is committed to treating all applicants fairly without discrimination. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law.