Sr. Research Associate - Weed Control
Sr. Research Associate – Weed Science
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing
unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer
Develop and lead biological evaluation of new microbial solutions for herbicide tolerance.
- Responsible for evaluation of new microbial strategies for herbicide tolerance through development and execution of bioassays from lab to greenhouse to initial outdoor testing. This will include both internal screening and coordination of CRO and external collaborators.
- Provide subject matter expertise on weed science. This includes ideation and collaboration with other team members for new herbicide tolerance concepts leveraging Joyn technical platform capabilities in synthetic biology. Act as a resource on weed science for other Joyn employees and partners.
- Continue to identify and evaluate new technical approaches including automation, image analysis, or molecular methods to drive pipeline. Work closely with computational biology colleagues to insure effective data capture and analysis as well as experimental design.
- MS in weed science or related field and 5 years industry experience or a B.S. and 8 years industry experience.
- Experience designing and managing lab/greenhouse/field screening assays to evaluate herbicide tolerance in diverse formats.
- Prior use of automation and image analysis for phenotypic analysis is preferred.
- Ideal candidate will also be experienced with basic microbiological techniques and have a solid understanding of molecular genetics and strain engineering.
- This position reports to a Senior Scientist within Plant Science team and requires 5-20% travel.
This position will be based at our Woodland, California site