Statistical Scientist - Plant Sciences
Computational Biology & Data Science
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Implement experimental design, statistics, and data science methodologies in collaboration with technical functions and program teams to help build engineered microbial products for agriculture.
- Experimental Design and Statistical Modeling In Planta: Apply modern data science and biostatistics tools for design and analysis of controlled environment and field experiments, to evaluate and rank biological performance of engineered microbes. Structure and simplify complex scientific questions and approaches to link analytics strategy and outcomes datasets. Continually seek opportunities to improve methods and analyses by application of statistical or quantitative tools. Communicate effectively through listening, documentation and presentations, especially using compelling visualization tools to share analysis and interpretation of data. Be a proactive and driving part of an innovative team, inspire people with new approaches and your way of thinking.
- Digital Phenotyping, Sensor-Based Data and Geospatial Analytics: Collaborate with plant scientists to implement standardized processing and analytical pipelines for complex data coming from sensor and imaging data (controlled environment and field). Drive key interdisciplinary data science and plant science analytics projects, esp. to create novel scientific insights and starting points by analyzing data, sensor reads, and field data. Develop ad-hoc analyses into standardized and automated analysis pipelines. Build and maintain a scientific code base, developing QC and preprocessing pipelines, and creating business-relevant visualizations.
- Elevate data-centric culture into a competitive asset: Identify opportunities for and contribute to the development of first- and best- in class data assets. Turn data into a competitive advantage via co-creating novel scientific and business insights. Execute data science strategy towards a predictive R&D pipeline. Contribute to increasing the data fluency in Joyn Bio by coaching and training others in statistical concepts. Be an ambassador for the potential and power of data science to accelerate Joyn Bio’s mission.
- Multiple years of industry experience in experimental design [for greenhouse-based experiments, field trials], statistical modeling, computer vision, image analysis, digital phenotyping, applied agriculture, and field testing.
- Analytical skills and mindset to solve real-world problems with applied data science; enjoys structuring and simplifying complex problems.
- Ability to challenge the status quo, push boundaries, and ability to adapt, learn new skills, and move quickly.
- Strong influential leadership and communication skills, collaborative mindset and track record with cross-disciplinary functional teams.
- Fluent in Python (geopandas), R, QGIS, and capable of framing problems as programming tasks; command line usage.
- Experience with Tableau, Spotfire, R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts, data maps, etc.
- Familiarity and experience with deploying analytic pipelines in the cloud (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure).
- Experience with interfacing via APIs with multiple database types, including SQL, NoSQL, and graph databases.
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- Ph.D. or equivalent with a quantitative focus – some examples include but are not limited to (Bio-) Statistics, Statistical Genetics, Plant Breeding, Quantitative Genetics, Ecology, Microbial Population Genetics/Ecology, Evolutionary Genetics, etc.
- This position reports to the Data Science Lead.
- This position will be a part of the Platform and Infrastructure team.
This position is based at our Woodland, California site and may require 5-10% travel.
Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.