Head of Plant Science
West Sacramento CA
This role is responsible for developing and running in vivo testing of microbial leads and products in lab, greenhouse and field.
-This candidate will build and lead a team responsible for evaluating the in vivo performance of Joyn microbes in biological assays ranging from lab, greenhouse to field. These activities will be conducted both in house at Bayer’s California facilities and through third party collaborators.
- Responsible for long term strategy for biological testing (outsourcing, new technical innovations, collaboration) and helping to develop Joyn’s reputation via interaction with the scientific community.
- Responsible for lab and greenhouse infrastructure supporting these assays.
- Hire, mentor, and develop additional biologists to grow team.
- As member of senior science leadership team help to develop overall scientific strategy of Joyn and operationally steer budget and resources.
- Interface and facilitate collaboration with Gingko and Bayer to facilitate information transfer and productive collaboration with these companies.
- 7-10 years of industrial experience in with a focus on development and management of lab/greenhouse screening assays in row crops (corn, soy)
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in plant physiology, breeding, weed science, etc.
- Prior supervisory experience in leading research teams is required.
- Experience in design and execution of field trials or breeding studies is highly desirable.
- This position reports to Chief Scientific Officer at Joyn.
- This position will initially supervise a team of three, including two Ph.D scientists, while growing the team to meet the needs of the active Joyn discovery pipeline.
- This position will be based at our West Sacramento, California site and will require 10-20% travel.