Strain Collection Fermentation Scientist
Boston MA /
Bioprocessing & Formulation Development /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Diversity is one of our core values, and we as a company are building equity and belonging into all aspects of our working environment.
- Produce and characterize a wide variety of microbial strains as potential hosts for engineering for agricultural applications; and scale up candidate strains for greenhouse and field testing
- Plan and manage fermentation runs to produce biomass for on-plant testing and formulation studies
- Plan and manage scale-up of candidate strains to bench and pilot scale production
- Process development and production of strains that are selected for engineering
- Understanding of Microbial Engineering and Fermentation processes in an industrial research setting
- Experience producing a diverse range of microbes in fermentation
- Experience dealing with governmental regulations
- Proficient in the use of ELN and LIMS software
- Experience supervising up to 2 research associates and/or technicians and willingness to learn people management as part of the role
- PhD in microbiology, chemical engineering, biochemistry or equivalent experience
- Reports to Department Head, BioProcessing and Formulation Development
- This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site and may require 5-10% travel. This position is up to 60% remote, dependent on lab and desk availability while the need for social distancing is significant.
Joyn Bio is committed to treating all applicants fairly without discrimination. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law.