Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Provide leadership for Plant Pathology and abiotic stress projects to evaluate in planta performance of engineered microbes (biological control).
- Responsible to develop a strategic framework of the stage-gated in planta screening pipeline for our engineered microbes to improve translation from the controlled environment (greenhouse/growth chamber) to the field for all Programs
- Proactively collaborate with Program scientists on customizing the pipeline for each programs which includes the choice of the in planta screening assays for each stage gates and defining rigorous selection criteria to select lead microbes
- Monitor and keep track of all engineered microbial leads moving through the pipeline via facilitation of the decision making meetings with stakeholders and Project Scientists.
- Through cross functional interactions with Program Directors and scientists, for biotic and abiotic stress programs lead the efforts on development of flexible, scalable, and high-throughput in planta bioassays for each stage-gates and nominate microbial leads for the field trials
- Through collaboration with the Data Science colleagues, develop the experimental design, analyze data and short-list the microbial candidates for the field efficacy trials
- Closely working with the Field Trial Manager oversee the course of the field efficacy trials
- Identify new and maintain relationships with present CROs and external collaborators
- Continuously improve the technical excellence and sophistication of the bioassays through acquiring new technologies.
- As a Part of the Departmental Leadership team, mentor and functionally supervise junior level scientists.
- Ph.D. in Plant Science disciplines, including but not limited to Plant Pathology, Plant Physiology, Agronomy etc, is required
- 5+ years of industry experience and particularly in biocontrol development is required
- Strong expertise in greenhouse/growth chamber bioassay development is essential
- Experience in working with CROs and partner industries is highly desirable
- Demonstrated strategy development skill and ability to work cross-functionally are required
- The position will be part of the Plant Science Department and report to the Department Head
- This position will be based at our Woodland, CA site and will require 10-15% travel.