Microbiology Scientist I
Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Scientist Microbiologist who will contribute to the characterization, engineering and screening of R&D processes aimed at improving Gram positive microorganisms for large scale commercial agriculture applications.
- Ideate, design and execute experiments to characterize growth, domesticate and screen various Gram positive organisms.
- Work closely with the Lead of Strain Engineering Development Platform and Program Directors to develop a strain engineering strategy that is aligned with defined objectives and drive the technical strategy on a day-to-day basis.
- Innovate and advance methods for increasing efficiency of Gram positive bacteria engineering and screening through development and implementation of HTP technologies to enhance Joyn Bio platforms and capabilities.
- Collaborate with the Microbial Engineering, Plant Microbe Interaction, Bioprocessing Formulation and Downstream Processing, Digital Sciences and Technology and Regulatory teams to develop commercially relevant processes.
- Draft and manage Technical Project Plans in collaboration with research partners and CROs.
- May manage and mentor junior personnel.
- PhD with 1-2 years with experience in microbiology, microbial physiology, molecular biology and/or related fields is required for consideration. Industry experience is a plus.
- Extensive experience with culturing and domesticating bacteria. Experience with Gram positive bacteria with an emphasis Bacillus species and sporulation is a plus.
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building HTP strain engineering tools and screening platforms.
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized, and collaborative self-starter with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Will report into the Lead of Strain Engineering Development Platform.
- 75% of the time dedicated to working at the bench is necessary.
- This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.