Data Science Lead
Remote, USA /
Digital Sciences & Technology /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Lead data science team to execute on experimental design, quantitative analysis, and training in partnership with cross functional teams from lab to field creating new engineered microbial products for agriculture.
- Lead and mentor a team of biostatisticians, data scientists, and consultants to execute against data science vision. Provide technical leadership to team and organization to drive innovation and company value in AI, ML, and statistical modeling.
- Understand program and business needs, develop and implement data strategy to support immediate analysis and data science needs, while aligning with emerging long term roadmaps. Foster collaborative, innovative, and productive relationships within teams, across functions, and across programs. Identify and manage CROs to meet growing needs.
- Build strong ties to Ginkgo’s Data Engineering team to build production level Data Science platform, as well as evaluating different existing data science platforms and technologies to enrich Joyn Bio’s technical productivity.
- Ph.D. or equivalent with a quantitative focus – some examples include but are not limited to Theoretical Biology, Systems Biology, Biomedical, Biological, or Chemical Engineering, Statistics, Biostatistics, Applied Mathematics
- Direct supervisory experience required.
- Domain experience in Biology (Plant Biology, Agronomy, Cell Biology, or Microbiology) required; hands-on experience in lab, greenhouse, and/or field trial strongly desirable
- 5+ years of industry experience in at least three of the following: experimental design [for field trials, greenhouse-based experiments, or lab-based DOE], statistical modeling, machine learning, optimization and simulation.
- Experience in Python, R, command line usage in Linux based environment, conceptual to logical data modeling, Django, modern software/product frameworks such as lean startup and agile development, cloud environments such as AWS, big data
- Knowledge of Tableau, Spotfire, R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts, data maps, etc.
- Track record of collaborating in a cross-disciplinary functional team and matrix environment
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- This position reports to the Head of Digital Sciences and Technologies
- This position is based at our Boston, Massachusetts site or remote and will require 5-20% travel post-pandemic.