Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
To develop and manage a high throughput, automated strain archiving system that enables the onboarding, documentation, tracking, and storage (both on- and offsite) of microbial strains in the ever-expanding Joyn Bio strain collection. The Strain Curator will be responsible for maintaining the collection, overseeing the in vitro characterization, collaborating with the plant science team for in planta characterization, cataloging of incoming strains, and ensuring compliance with legal and safety requirements.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.
- Develop, implement, and manage an automated, company-wide strain archiving system and oversee adoption by both Boston- and Sacramento-based teams.
- On board Joyn Bio strains by leveraging core services and software within Ginkgo’s organism engineering foundry. Confirm both identity and pertinent properties prior to incorporation into strain archive.
- Maintain accurate records and metadata for each strain within Ginkgo’s Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Acquire and track relevant permits and compliance with legal and safety requirements for associated with strains.
- Responsible for providing strains from collection to Joyn Bio researchers and external collaborators. This will include developing, overseeing, and evolving SOPs and transfer/shipping logistics.
- Identify and implement off site storage through a third party vendor.
- At least 5 years of experience in microbiology, automation, biobanking, and/or related fields
- PhD or MS with 3+ years of experience or BS with 5+ years of experience in microbiology or related field
- Exposure to biochemistry, plant pathology, and/or genomics is a plus
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building automated organizational systems
- Hands-on experience working with a diverse array of non-domesticated, fastidious microorganisms
- Will report into the Chassis Onboarding and Management Program Director
- Will work in close collaboration with both Joyn and Ginkgo employees, and in concert with strain acquisition and characterization personnel