Research Associate - Protein Biochemistry
Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- The Protein Biochemistry Strain Engineer will leverage synthetic biology, biochemistry, and genetic engineering tools to improve the performance of microbes for their use in agriculture.
- Independently execute wet lab research to deliver upon payload and/or project team goals. Drive hands-on lab work by leveraging biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology tools.
- Develop and validate biochemical tools needed to characterize and test recombinant proteins expressed by engineered soil microbes, including protein quantitation methods (ELISA, split GFP, western blotting, etc.) and enzymatic assays.
- Critically analyze data and collaborate with data scientists to ensure statistical rigor.
- Leverage Ginkgo Bioworks’ high-throughput platform to conduct screenings and testing of engineered microbes.
- Actively participate in the project team to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project.
- Expected to spend 80% of the time in the wet lab, and 20% of the time managing projects and developing new approaches.
- M.S. or B.S. with >2 years postgraduate experience in synthetic biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in heterologous protein expression and analytical methods is required. Experience with high-throughput lab work and familiarity with liquid handling robots is a plus.
- Familiarity with high-throughput methods for protein characterization is a plus.
- Experience with engineering microbes and molecular biology is a plus.
- Familiarity with LIMSs and a willingness to tackle a steep learning curve with respect to leveraging custom software.
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects to completion through scientific rigor and project planning and tracking.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills are required.
- This position will report into the Payload Team Lead
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry teams, and external partners
This position will be based at our Boston site and will require 5-10% travel.