Pest Management/Disease Management Scientist
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
The Pest Management/Disease Management Scientist will leverage Ginkgo’s Foundry to enhance the potency and activity of microbially-delivered protein actives for pest and/or disease management
- Drive ideation and development of innovative approaches and research plans to engineer microbes that provide season-long, protective benefits to crops
- Direct and oversee cross-functional team activities to generate and test engineered microbial strains
- Leverage the Ginkgo Foundry for genetic engineering and high throughput screening, and master custom software to become a superuser of the Ginkgo Foundry and foster a close partnership with Ginkgo Bioworks and Foundry team members to ensure effective execution of experiments
- Ph.D. (or equivalent experience) in Biological Engineering, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, or related fields with at least 5 years of industry experience (experience with Ag microbials is preferred)
- Extensive experience with non-model microbes and manipulating complex biochemical pathways
- Ideal candidate will have prior experience with microbial physiology, metabolism, and plant-microbe interactions
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects to completion through scientific rigor and project planning and tracking
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead projects across teams and provide timely feedback
- This position will report into the Program Director for Disease Management
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio teams across two sites, Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry teams, and external partners
This position will be based out of our Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-10% travel.