Strain Domestication Scientist - Filamentous Fungi
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- The Strain Domestication Scientist will be responsible for driving the domestication pipeline for various filamentous fungal hosts of agricultural importance.
- Ideate, design and execute experiments to assess the genetic tractability of different filamentous fungal hosts and develop bench scale methods to engineer these organisms. Collaborate with our data science and plant biology functions to optimize our genetic tractability pipeline for domestication of these fungal strains.
- Master the use of Gingko Bioworks software and champion the use of the Ginkgo Bioworks synthetic biology foundry through becoming a superuser of the platform and collaborate with colleagues in Ginkgo Bioworks to develop high-throughput methods for filamentous fungal engineering.
- Develop innovative ways to increase efficiency of organism engineering through staying abreast of new technologies and bringing these technologies in-house to enhance our strain engineering capabilities.
- Communicate experimental results broadly across the organization, author SOPs and maintain detailed and accurate records for experiments.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in genetics, molecular biology, genomics, microbiology or biochemistry.
- At least one year of post-graduate experience.
- Previous experience with engineering filamentous fungal host strains.
- Demonstrated creativity and dedication to the development of tools for strain engineering.
- Experience with non-model organisms and agricultural microbes a plus.
- This position will report into the Microbial Collection & Strain Domestication Lead.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team.
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry teams, and external partners.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts office with 5-10% travel to our Woodland, CA office.