Senior Software Engineer
Boston, MA or Woodland, CA /
Digital Sciences & Technology /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Design, build, test, and ship services and web applications to support the development and delivery of Joyn’s research and products.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to learn from end-users and subject matter experts, develop requirements, and design software solutions. No silos here. You enjoy collaborating and aren’t afraid to actively reach out to end-users and subject matter experts. You drive necessary conversations in order to dig into problems and determine possible solutions. You enjoy learning from others and supporting other teams such as data science and research scientists through your work. You enjoy harnessing the excitement of green field work, while balancing it with milestones and the need to iterate rapidly. You are eager to learn and help others, including our JV parents Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks.
- Design, build, test, ship, learn, repeat. We do science, and need software to support our mission. Sometimes it makes sense to buy and integrate with existing software and sometimes we need to build our own. You will work with the head of the Digital Sciences & Technology (DST) department and our software architect to break down milestones into tasks. You will work with a product manager to gather necessary data and requirements to design software solutions to those tasks and propose designs to DST leadership. You will build those software solutions, write automated tests, and ship your code. You will work with end-users to understand usage and iterate to make improvements.
- Participate in the product delivery life cycle. As a startup we need to iterate rapidly. You are excited to constantly learn and improve. You will be the voice of software engineering in product design discussions. You will participate in and proactively suggest improvements to our software and product delivery processes. You are self-directed and enjoy digging into problems as well as reaching out to other team members for feedback or insights as necessary. You enjoy working on projects from inception through delivery. You like to take ownership and have impact.
- 5-7 years of experience with a modern programming language (Python preferred)
- 5-7 years of experience with writing, testing, shipping, and maintaining production software (SaaS preferred)
- Experience writing API-based services
- Experience with relational databases (Postgres, MySQL) and designing, implementing, and updating schemas
- Experience with at least one cloud platform (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- BS or MS in Computer Science, engineering or relevant field
- Deep focus on detail and quality
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with frameworks such as Django and Flask, and API tools such as OpenAPI/Swagger
- Experience with running applications in containers (docker preferred)
- Experience working in biotech, agtech, or R&D environments
- Experience with writing web applications using modern technologies (react.js, vue.js, angular.js) and design systems such as Material Design
- Experience with DevOps infrastructure and configuration management automation (Chef, Puppet, SaltStack, Terraform)
- Experience performing data transformation and loading tasks within Python or other ETL tooling.
- This position reports to the Dept Head for Digital Sciences and Technologies.
- This position will be a part of the Scientific Computing team and will interact with cross-disciplinary and multiple program teams.
- This position can be based either at our Woodland, California or Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-20% travel. Joyn Bio may accommodate flexible working arrangements.
Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.