Vice President, Business Development
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbial solutions for growers globally.
The Vice President, Business Development will be responsible for identifying, evaluating and negotiating new business opportunities, initiatives and alliances and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. This role will serve as a resource and advisor to senior management in the assessment of a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Identifies, evaluates and implements new partnering strategies, corporate outreach, and technology positioning
- Performs market research, analyzes new market opportunities and pursues new business opportunities
- Oversees the transaction process, including the establishment of contacts, maintaining a pipeline of ongoing partnering prospects and qualifying contacts
- Organizes and oversees due diligence processes and negotiating transaction terms for deal closure with the legal team.
- Organizes, tracks, documents and report on the status of all prospects in the business development pipeline
- Lead the development of the business development strategy including efforts in the identification, evaluation and development of acquisition, in-licensing, out-licensing and partnership opportunities
- Build and develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders to have a clear understanding of critical priorities and objectives and establish action plans that translate into business development opportunities
- Build and develop a strong relationship with the technical teams and involve them in all technical aspects of the deals.
- Build and develop strong relationships with external partners and thought leaders, including growers; establish action plans to incorporate ideas and trends to our corporate strategy, development and portfolio
- Develops proposals and term sheets for prospects, leads negotiations and manages the day-to-day aspects of deal closing, including the utilization of legal counsel, and coordination with finance and other functional teams
- Participate in deal negotiation, execution, and implementation, including subsequent structuring of term sheets, oversight, and management of negotiations and closing strategies
- Participate in efforts to broadcast Joyn Bio’s messages and purpose at selected conferences and external events as needed.
- Requires a B.S./M.S. or M.B.A. (strongly preferred) with at least 15+ years of relevant industry experience in agriculture preferably in a corporate strategy or business development role; a background in science is strongly preferred. Requires a solid understanding of the business practices of the ag industry, and experience with microbials is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of success; experience in managing end to end a variety of collaboration agreements including but not limited to licensing agreements, strategic alliances, M&A, etc.
- An outstanding strategist and thought partner to the leadership team.
- Strong collaboration and influence skills. An ability to work across all lines as a general advisor and across the leadership team as a trusted partner, yet capable and willing to challenge established thinking to realize a better outcome.
- Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
This position can be based at either our Woodland, CA site or our Boston, MA site and will require up to 25% - 35% travel.