Head of Legal, IP
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
We are looking for an in-house counsel to be a part of our team. Reporting to the CEO you will be responsible for legal functions pertaining to IP strategy, patent prosecution, FTO, trade secret protection, and trademark filings. You will also be involved in business development, licensing deals, and will represent and address IP issues with Board. This role has the opportunity to be part of setting the vision and patent strategy for the company at an early stage that will drive development, use and commercialization of transformative solutions and products in agriculture.
- Defining, architecting and implementing Joyn Bio’s IP strategy with respect to internal R&D pipeline, partners, competitors, and suppliers
- Staying abreast of a rapidly evolving technology, IP, and market landscape with respect to internal technical developments, competitive position, and FTO
- Managing and conducting prosecution of Joyn Bio’s IP portfolio, including preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent filings
- Conducting intellectual property due diligence to support business partnerships and licensing, including design of IP framework and analysis of patentability, validity, and freedom-to-operate.
- Supervising external relationships with outside patent counsel, collaborators, and business partners.
- Will be part of the executive team and represent the IP and legal strategy to Board of Directors. Opportunity to broaden responsibility to also include oversight of general legal activities and support future rounds of fundraising.
- JD with 8+ years of general corporate legal experience in biotechnology and/or technology either in-house, private practice, or both
- Prior IP experience in microbial biotechnology or synthetic biology is essential, particularly a deep understanding of the technology and the associated framework for accessing and managing strains under global biodiversity regulations
- Ability to balance legal and business considerations, prioritize activities, and execute efficiently
- Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem solve, and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly collaborative with strong professionalism and interpersonal skills
It is preferred this position be based in our Boston, MA location but our West Sacramento, CA site is also a possibility. The role will require 5-10% travel.