Strain Engineer - Filamentous Fungi
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks have joined forces, to form a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company has laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
The Joyn Bio team in Boston is looking for an experienced strain engineer to support our filamentous fungal engineering capabilities. If you are excited by the application of new technologies and are looking for professional growth, we highly encourage you to apply!
The primary responsibilities of the successful applicant will include:
- Develop methods for high throughput culturing of filamentous fungi
- Assist other scientists in developing methods for genetic engineering of filamentous fungi using both cutting edge and conventional tools
- Evaluate a variety of microorganisms (including filamentous fungi and bacteria) for potential use as chassis for genetic engineeringAssist in strain engineering design, execution, testing, and reporting of project results -- Work collaboratively with the foundry and other scientists to deliver engineered microbes
- Communicate with internal and external collaborators as needed
- Promote a positive, safe, and compliant work environment
- Provide high attention to detail to ensure that all work is executed to the highest degree of ability and reproducibility
- Seek relevant opportunities to remain current on technological developments in the field
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in biotechnology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology or related fields with 5+ years of experience; MSc degree with 2+ years of experience is preferred.
- Industry experience is not required but is advantageous
- Successful experience in development of genetic engineering protocols and tools in filamentous fungi or other organisms including yeast and bacteria
- Prior experience with heterologous enzyme production and purification is a plus
- Demonstrated passion for continuous educational and professional growth
To learn more about the company:
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of Joyn Bio to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.