Senior Data Architect
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Lead the design and development of cloud native data architecture and be responsible for building and managing systems to house and provide access to Joyn Bio’s data.
- Canvas the science to build conceptual data models: Build an understanding of the primary scientific questions and drivers in the different functional and program teams. Establish cross-functional process and workflow maps, link data to those process models to create a data view. Be responsible for the entire data modeling ecosystem including data lineages, master data and metadata management, common data structures & formatting, data quality, governance and standards.
- Collaboratively build cloud-native data systems focused on integration and fast, easy access: Of multi-dimensional, multi-type data (experimental, real time, metadata, derived) by scientists using different analytical tools (JMP, Tableau, Jupyter Notebooks, etc.). Create a roadmap with milestones, scope, and timelines for the implementation of cloud-native data storage, integration, and microservices. Be an outward-looking visionary who admits the limits of their technical knowledge and looks to others to learn and embody their hard-fought lessons.
- Establish data standards, processes and governance: To support IP, trade secret and compliance for regulatory aspects by building a transparent and traceable data supply chain that enables reverse data lineages. Be a trusted data advisor, who is focused on solutions, business and information.
- Strategic partnerships and Ginkgo Interface: By serving as a member of the senior computational biology leadership team, work collaboratively with Gingko’s Data Engineering team to leverage know-how, execution and expertise in Ginkgo’s developing innovative research platforms. In addition, work with different technology partners to facilitate the build of Joyn’s data ecosystem.
- Create a data-centric culture: Highlight opportunities within the business to leverage and refresh data architecture with new technologies and analytics. Be able to communicate new trends and technologies to the rest of the team effectively. Effectively communicate stories of how data models, governance and analytics impact the business.
- 8-10 years of industry experience in data architecture, IT strategy and operations, or building industry-based computational platforms.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of online courses and experience) in computational science, genomics, plant science, data science or microbiology, molecular biology
- Must have experience in commercial agriculture company.
- Familiarity and experience with the iron triangle of product development as a way to guide design choices for cloud-native data warehouses, databases and ETL tools (e.g. AWS Redshift, Panoply, Microsoft Azure; AWS RDS, DynamoDB, Neptune; Stitch, Blendo, Fivetran, etc )
- Experience in building relational, graph (e.g. Neo4J) and real-time databases.
- Should have a proven track record of collaborating, developing and building architecture for informatics.
- Prior supervisory experience in leading teams of 2-5 people is required.
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- This position reports to the Head of Computational Biology.
- This position will be a part of the Platform and Infrastructure team and will interact with cross-disciplinary and multiple program teams.
This position can be based either at our Woodland, California or Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-20% travel.
All applications must include a cover letter. The cover letter should indicate two elements: why this position is a good fit for your skills and why you want to work at Joyn Bio.