Head of Bioprocessing
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
This position is responsible for overseeing fermentation process R&D, scale up and formulation of live engineered microbes for breakthrough agricultural solutions.
- Bioprocess research lead: responsible for developing commercial fermentation processes, recovery and formulation and COGS analysis for all Joyn microbes. This includes tech transfer, oversight of QA/QC and process documentation and logistics.
- Collaboration and technology. Work with and facilitate partnerships with Ginkgo team, collaborators and commercial partners. Ensure clear documentation, budgeting and communication to facilitate tech transfer and timely delivery of materials for performance and safety studies.
- Continue to identify and evaluate new technical approaches including automation, image analysis, or molecular methods to drive pipeline. Work closely with data scientists to ensure effective data capture and analysis as well as experimental design.
- Leadership: As a member of Joyn Executive Team, help to set company scientific and people strategy and operationally steer budget and resources. Hire, mentor and develop internal Bioprocessing team. Identify and manage external technology providers and tollers to efficiently meet internal needs.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree and experience) in fermentation science, chemical engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of industry bioprocessing experience.
- Proven track record of developing and upscaling commercial fermentation and formulation processes for agricultural microbes. Ideally should be highly experienced in working with spore forming microbes.
- Must have direct experience supervising and building teams and proven track record of building and managing effective external partnerships.
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record of collaboration across disciplines.
- This candidate will be a member of Joyn’s leadership team and the position is based at our Boston, MA site.
- This individual will lead internal Bioprocessing team and manage external partnerships including interfacing with Ginkgo teams
- This position will require up to 20% travel.