Senior Data Scientist
Los Angeles, CA
Just Insurance is a young, fast-growing start-up, looking to revolutionize the auto insurance industry. Our customers pay fair premiums which are based on how they drive, rather than how old they are or what area they live in. They pre-pay, adding how much they can afford, pay only for what they use and don’t have to sign up to long and expensive yearly contracts.
We provide our insurance through an app. It’s super simple to signup and to use, built using the latest technology and powered by our proprietary data algorithms. It helps us to measure how our customers drive, what price they should get and allows to settle claims fast.
Find out more: www.just.insure
We score how our customers drive using telematics data, gathered from our app running on their smartphones, to determine an individual price per mile for each customer. Our vision is to ingest and interpret ever-more data sources, including audio and video data, to improve driver safety, lowering the risk of accidents and the cost of insurance. Our data science platform and strategy are critical to achieving this mission. You will be a senior member of the data science team, providing this capability.
What you'll do:
- Senior member of the Data Science team
- Implement data science strategy
- Work with large, complex data sets
- Solve complex, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods
- Help to architect a secure, scalable and performant data warehouse and data science platform
- Build and prototype analysis pipelines iteratively to provide insights at scale
- Build out the technology and processes
What we're looking for:
- Masters in Data Science, Computer Science or similar
- 5+ years of hands-on technical experience in cross-functional Data Science roles
- Experience working with telematics datasets
- Deep understanding of statistics and experimental design
- Experience of going through an aggressive phase of growth
- Strong programming and architectural skills
- Experience in integrating models into existing systems
- Some experience with deploying on scalable cloud-based systems
- Strong standards for software engineering practices
- Ability to break down complex problems
- Creativity in sourcing datasets
- Experience in non-academic, commercial Data Science projects
- Experience in signal processing, including sensor data, time series methods and filtering
Highly regarded but not a prerequisite:
- PhD in Data Science, Computer Science or similar.
- Experience working for a telematics-based auto insurer
- Video or audio processing experience
From a personal point of view, we're looking for someone who is innovative, collaborative and has passion for what they do. You'll be expected to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in from day one.
So that's what we need, what about what we can offer you.
You'll be joining a highly talented, focused and energetic team. Following agile principles, the data science, software engineering and stakeholders work closely and collaboratively together.
As we believe in collaborative working, we ask employees to come into the office five days a week. We start at 08:30 to align with our London, UK office a little better. Our Los Angeles office is based in trendy Brentwood with excellent access to stores, restaurants and surrounding West LA suburbs.
We believe in work-life balance, and as such, you'll get your birthday and the days between Christmas and new years off, in addition to your 20 days vacation allowance.
Your compensation package is made up of salary (up to $160k), benefits and a generous share options package.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a business that seeks to revolutionize a $222B industry - and that's in the US alone. If you are passionate about making a difference and have a hunger to shake up a market that is ripe for change, this is the role for you.