Senior Data Scientist
Los Angeles, CA /
Data Science /
Just Insurance is a revolutionary tech start-up, looking to disrupt the US auto insurance industry. Our vision is to dramatically improve road safety, while also making car insurance more fair and affordable to millions of people. At the core of our groundbreaking product is our app, which is super simple to use, built using the latest technology and powered by our proprietary data algorithms.
It’s not only us that believes in this vision. We’ve just closed a $5.7m Seed round including VCs who invested in Facebook at their inception.
Find out more: www.just.insure
With our vision, industry-leading product and investment, we are looking to grow our exceptional team.
We score how our customers drive using telematics data, gathered from our app running on their smartphones, to determine an individual price per mile for each customer. Our vision is to ingest and interpret ever-more data sources, including audio and video data, to improve driver safety, lowering the risk of accidents and the cost of insurance. Our data science platform and strategy are critical to achieving this mission. You will be a senior member of the data science team, providing this capability.
What you'll do:
- As a senior member of the data science team, help create a vision, devise strategy, and develop execution plans for the team
- Build and help develop production ready sophisticated machine learning models to turn our telematics data into accident predictions and risk scores
- Help develop novel insurance products and pricing algorithms to make insurance accessible to everyone
- Analyze user data and design experiments to figure out how to create tools that help drivers drive more safely
- Help communicate complex risk scoring and pricing systems to regulatory, legal, and business stakeholders
What we're looking for:
- Masters in a quantitative field, e.g. Data Science, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, etc.
- Substantial exposure to insurance and actuarial concepts
- 5+ years of hands-on technical experience in cross-functional Data Science roles
- Experience working with telematics datasets
- Deep understanding of statistics and experimental design
- Experience of going through an aggressive phase of growth
- Strong programming and architectural skills modeling skills particularly in Python
Highly regarded but not a prerequisite:
- PhD in a quantitative field
- Experience working for a telematics-based auto insurer
- Experience working in insurance pricing or as an actuary
From a personal point of view, we're looking for someone who is innovative, collaborative and has passion for what they do. You'll be expected to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in from day one.
So that's what we need, what about what we can offer you.
You'll be joining a highly talented, focused and energetic team. Following agile principles, the data science, software engineering and stakeholders work closely and collaboratively together.
As we believe in collaborative working, we ask employees to come into the office five days a week. We start at 08:30 to align with our London, UK office a little better. Our Los Angeles office is based in trendy Brentwood with excellent access to stores, restaurants and surrounding West LA suburbs.
We believe in work-life balance, and as such, you'll get your birthday and the days between Christmas and new years off, in addition to your 20 days vacation allowance.
Your compensation package is made up of salary, benefits and a generous share options package.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to be part of an exceptional team, in an exciting company that seeks to revolutionize a $222B industry - and that's in the US alone. If you are exceptional, passionate about making a difference and have a hunger to shake up a market that is ripe for change, this is the role for you.