Los Angeles, CA
Just Insurance is a young, fast-growing start-up, looking to revolutionize the auto insurance industry. Our customers pay fair premiums which are based on how they drive, rather than how old they are or what area they live in. They pre-pay, adding how much they can afford, pay only for what they use and don’t have to sign up to long and expensive yearly contracts.
We provide our insurance through an app. It’s super simple to signup and to use, built using the latest technology and powered by our proprietary data algorithms. It helps us to measure how our customers drive, what price they should get and allows to settle claims fast.
Find out more: www.just.insure
Opportunity summary - Financial Controller
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller is actively responsible for all aspects of the company’s financial accounting operations and reporting. Main responsibilities will include maintaining accounting records, performing daily financial accounting functions, preparing internal and external financial reports, supporting executive stakeholders to develop budgets and forecasts, and managing annual audit and tax return preparation.
In addition, the Controller serves as the lead on building and maintaining the Accounting infrastructure, standardizing processes, ensuring audit compliance, and preparing analyses as needed for this rapidly growing company.
This will entail:
- Accounting & Reporting
- Responsible for all company Accounting processes and functions, including timely and accurate recording and reporting of all financial transactions and system reconciliations.
- Supervise the daily accounting operations to ensure efficient cash management, clean accounting records, and recording of all transactions in compliance with the Company’s accounting processes and internal controls
- Manage the monthly and quarterly close process and prepare consolidated financial statements.
- Produce ad-hoc financial reports including cash forecasts and forecast models
- Develop and maintain financial policies and processes impacting internal and external reporting, general ledger, revenue accounting, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, fixed asset management, taxes, insurance, and treasury.
- Manage the relationship with external auditors, oversee the planning and execution of annual audits.
- Ensure that Accounting activities and reporting are in accordance with GAAP and all applicable legal, regulatory, and company procedures.
- Identify opportunities to automate and streamline routine activities to run the organization more effectively as the company scales.
- Continuously improve the accounting function, including team development, resource allocation, budget management, and company-wide cost savings opportunities.
- Serve as the company’s expert for all accounting matters, partnering with other departments on structuring policies, and advising with respect to accounting and tax implications.
- Oversee/direct tax structuring and all tax-related policies and procedures in conjunction with external advisors.
- Oversee/direct the preparation and timely filing of all required tax returns and other statutory filings.
- Support CFO for Board of Directors reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and customer agreements.
- Regulatory and Compliance
- Partner with external subject matter experts to ensure complete and regular regulatory compliance with various states’ Department of Insurance (DOI) guidelines
- Ensure the company meets its filing requirements
Skills you bring to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Management Accountant
- Superior knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS reporting and compliance
- Experience of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) and Insurance accounting for P&C carriers
- Regulatory experience including working with state and NAIC regulatory requirements
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Highest level of personal integrity and maturity
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while simultaneously meeting all goals and deadlines
- Proven leader in financial reporting for a company through a period of high growth
- Entrepreneurial spirit and pro-active, problem-solving nature
- Strong desire to tackle new challenges and projects with enthusiasm
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Project management experience
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Pluses, not essential:
- Experience with ERP/GL implementations
- 2+ years of Automotive insurance / P&C industry experience
This is an extraordinary opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a business that seeks to revolutionize a $222B industry - and that's in the US alone. If you are passionate about making a difference and have a hunger to shake up a market that is ripe for change, this is the role for you.