Data Scientist, AI Lab
Munich, Germany /
Kaia is a mission focused medical technology company:
Kaia Health was founded in 2016 with the mission of bringing affordable and accessible relief to millions of chronic disease patients. Using innovative technology, we develop digital mind-body therapies that provide better affordable care.
Our first product is a clinically-proven therapy for relieving back pain. Our mobile app gives users access to multimodal pain therapy, the gold standard of therapies in pain medicine. Kaia’s AI powered algorithm provides users with real-time feedback on their exercise execution using their phone. In the near future, we will release digital therapies for COPD, Osteoarthritis, and Parkinson’s disease.
Today we are one of the market leaders in digital therapeutics globally, with 400,000 users. We have raised a total of $50 million from investors like Optum Ventures, Balderton Capital and other top tier healthtech investors. We are building an exceptional team based in Munich and New York to succeed in our mission to bring affordable and accessible relief to millions.
Summary of Role:
We are looking for an experienced, versatile Data Scientist to help expand our Motion Coach technology platform (smartphone-camera-based exercise tracking technology). You will lead analytics and research projects to derive medical and biomechanical insights leveraging the motion tracking data. You will join the cross-functional AI Lab team that spans mobile engineers, deep learning engineers, a backend engineer, a sport scientist, a focused UX team, an operations manager, and a Product Manager. The role will report to our Analytics Strategy Lead.
The role encompasses two areas of responsibilities. Initially it will be heavily weighted towards product analytics. Over time, the role will shift towards productization of motion tracking data, delivering therapy personalization & disease progress monitoring via digital biomarkers.
Key Role Responsibility - Product Analytics for Motion Coach:
- Perform fast, iterative descriptive analytics in tandem with AI Lab PM, UX team, and engineers to inform product prioritization and R&D roadmap
- Inform and develop hypotheses to investigate the value and impact of Motion Coach for users of Kaia’s therapy programs
- Create understandable data visualisations as well as reusable dashboards using tools like Looker, Python, GSheets, and SQL
- Collaborate with commercial teams to best position Motion Coach technology in the market
- Act as domain expert for in-app event tracking data for Motion Coach product
Key Role Responsibility - Productization of Motion Tracking Data towards Therapy Personalization & Digital Biomarkers:
- Explore Kaia’s unique motion tracking dataset and investigate insights that can be derived from it (multiple thousand hours of exercise video data + even more skeleton sequence data)
- Develop & iterate high-level concepts and concretize use cases for therapy personalization and disease progression monitoring. Combine insights from product, UX, medical, and biomechanics to develop real-world applications for Kaia’s end-users leveraging motion-based biomarkers
- Prototype those concepts with ML engineers on the team
- Validate concepts by partnering with internal clinical team and external partners (e.g. world-class clinical and motion analysis teams) to conduct studies
- Identify and support patent opportunities for motion tracking technology
- Productize & iterate prototypes in tandem with software engineers, UX, PM
- Collaborate with data engineering team to ensure the necessary data is captured to perform the above responsibilities effectively
- Previous experience modelling motion, kinematics, or disease data
- Strong statistics and machine learning skill set
- Strong coder in Python, strong SQL skills, strong database skills
- Strong academic background with Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Biomechanics, Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science, Statistics, Neuroscience, Physics, or related field
- Evidence of successful interdisciplinary collaboration and stakeholder management (e.g. with medical experts)
- Evidence of proactively leading complex R&D projects to successful completion
- Ability to derive insights from real-world data and communicate insights to a non-technical audience
Ideally you also have (completely optional):
- Previous experience influencing product decisions using data analysis
- Proficiency with data visualisation tools (such as Chartio, Looker or similar) for developing interactive reports, pivot tables, and analyses for users with non-technical background
- Previously shipped code to production
- Solid software engineering skill set with good understanding of industry best practices
- Some exposure to managing cloud infrastructure and operations
- Experience with human-subject research (in academia or industry)
You'll fit in with our company culture if you:
- Are user centric and view technology as a tool to improve a user’s life
- Have a bias for action; the world is complex and unpredictable place so starting, releasing, and getting feedback iteratively is the only possible path to success
- Strive to be articulate and humble, make the complex simple, present ideas openly, accepting that being wrong is part of the process
- Are not afraid of tackling problems that others deem impossible
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial team, adapt easily to change, and enjoy a fast-paced environment
- Have worked in a fast-growing organization before (preferred)
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Opportunity to shape the future of digital health – one of the fastest growing industries
- A goal that allows you to grow with. We believe we have only built a fraction of what we have imagined
- Work with an experienced founding team (previously founded and scaled Foodora)
- Flat hierarchies, flexible vacation and working times
- Personal development budget of 1200 Euro per year
- Free drinks, team events, knowledge sharing sessions, engineering library
Some other things you will enjoy, specifically thinking about ‘the new normal’ post-COVID19
We have a sustainable, long-term impact: Most Kaianeers chose to work at Kaia and not at other companies simply because they want to have a lasting, positive impact on the world and not just talk about it. Providing remote access to the gold standard in management of chronic conditions already helps hundreds of thousands of users to reduce their suffering and win back quality time with their loved ones.
Flexible working hours: You can manage your day so that it works for you and your family. We are interested in the outcomes of your work, not the face time you spent with work.
Some more benefits listed on our website: https://www.kaiahealth.com/about-kaia/careers/
We value diversity and believe forming teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success.