Director of Technology Platform
Munich, Germany /
Kaia is a mission focused medical technology company:
Kaia Health was founded in 2016 with the mission of bringing affordable and accessible relief to millions of chronic disease patients. Using innovative technology, we develop digital mind-body therapies that provide better affordable care.
Our first product is a clinically-proven therapy for relieving back pain. Our mobile app gives users access to multimodal pain therapy, the gold standard of therapies in pain medicine. Kaia’s AI powered algorithm provides users with real-time feedback on their exercise execution using their phone. In the near future, we will release digital therapies for COPD, Osteoarthritis, and Parkinson’s disease.
Today we are one of the market leaders in digital therapeutics globally, with 400,000 users. We have raised a total of $50 million from investors like Optum Ventures, Balderton Capital and other top tier healthtech investors. We are building an exceptional team based in Munich and New York to succeed in our mission to bring affordable and accessible relief to millions.
Your role as the Director of Technology Platform will be to establish and lead a unified Technology Platform organization that bundles all core infrastructure and engineering operation topics to form the underpinning for our cross-functional product engineering teams.
We will start interviewing for this role in July 2020.
The role encompasses:
- Shape our existing Infrastructure, Product Quality, Security Engineering, Data Engineering, and IT Admin teams into one cohesive Technology Platform organization.
- Extend this organization by attracting and hiring stellar talent to prepare the technology platform for user growth, additional product teams, the launch of additional disease apps across multiple geographies.
- Drive technical direction, organizational design, roadmap, and processes of the Technology Platform team with the goal of enabling our product engineering teams to ship and run their systems autonomously with short cycles.
- Proactively identify common issues across all product engineering teams and design unified scalable solutions to enable the teams to ship products that are highly available, secure, conform and a pleasure to use.
- Lead by example, care for your team, and inspire the team to execute against a common vision.
- Align closely with the VP of Engineering, CTO, CISO, Head of Product and key staff in our engineering organization on initiatives and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience of attracting, hiring, enabling and developing stellar talent.
- Deep technical background with extensive previous hands-on experience in software engineering and engineering operations within a high-performing technology organization.
- Previous experience managing change as well as shaping organizational design, incentivization, and communication structures across multiple teams.
- Strong process- and systems thinker with the ability to find transdisciplinary solutions to open-ended business and tech problems by going to a technical first principle level and challenging hidden assumptions.
- An opinion on how things are done correctly and an extremely high frame of reference for yourself and the teams you lead.
- Strong product mindset and previous experience working with cross-functional, product-focused teams.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial mind, driven by impact, and willingness to get her/his hands dirty where needed.
- Collaborative leadership style with the ability to connect with people, inspire them, and create intrinsic motivation to execute against ambitious goals in a sustainable way.
Ideally you also have:
- Previous experience operating in a highly regulated environment (we are a registered medical product in Europe, and comply with various US & EU privacy and security regulations).
- A rough understanding of machine learning and a rough sense for how MLOps and DataOps differ from classic DevOps.
- Hands on experience with architecting and/or development in any of the major Cloud Platforms, preferably AWS.
- Hands on experience with software development of web services, coding in a high-level language, preferably Ruby on Rails and/or Python.
- Hands on experience with Docker containers and container orchestration workloads.
You'll fit in with our company culture if you:
- Are user centric and view technology as a tool to improve a user’s life
- Have a bias for action; the world is complex and unpredictable place so starting, releasing, and getting feedback iteratively is the only possible path to success
- Strive to be articulate and humble, make the complex simple, present ideas openly, accepting that being wrong is part of the process
- Are not afraid of tackling problems that others deem impossible
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial team, adapt easily to change, and enjoy a fast-paced environment
- Have worked in a fast-growing organization before (preferred)
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Opportunity to shape the future of digital health – one of the fastest growing industries
- A goal that allows you to grow with. We believe we have only built a fraction of what we have imagined
- Work with an experienced founding team (previously founded and scaled Foodora)
- Flat hierarchies, flexible vacation and working times
- Personal development budget of 1200 Euro per year
- Free drinks, team events, knowledge sharing sessions, engineering library