Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY /
Kaia is a mission-focused health technology company.
Our story began in 2016, when our founders Konstantin Mehl and Manuel Thurner, set out on a mission to bring affordable and accessible relief to millions of people with chronic conditions. No strangers to chronic pain themselves, they decided to innovate ways to remove the obstacles many people experience in getting the leading-edge care they need in order to live their best lives.
How do Kaia apps work? Kaia uses a dynamic AI-powered algorithm. Our programs are based on multimodal rehabilitation, a holistic approach to managing chronic conditions. Our users have easy access via smartphone and tablet to our programs for back/hip/knee pain and COPD using this evidence-based approach.
Five years into our story, we are a leader in digital therapeutics, with 500,000+ users worldwide. Having raised $125 million from investors such as Optum Ventures, idInvest, and Balderton Capital. We are poised to create a global footprint in digital self-care; Kaia is patient empowerment made easy.
The regulatory landscape is quickly adapting to the digital ecosystem. Therefore, our mission and strategy bring new opportunities for exceptional talent to join our journey. With over 150 “Kaianeers” spread across the globe, we need now, more than ever, specialized talent to help take our mission further.
The role encompasses
- You will actively participate in product development and iteration within a cross-functional, self-managed team.
- You will learn about the needs of our users, actively contribute ideas on what to build next, and collaborate with a PM, analysts, designers and clinical experts.
- You will prototype and build new features, evaluate and update existing ones, do code reviews, fix bugs, and write tests.
- You will contribute ideas on how to evolve the architecture and standards of our Ruby platform, consult on best practices, and align them with Ruby engineers on other teams. We value opinionated people who are constantly pushing the status quo!
- You will mentor team members and help them grow personally and professionally.
- Willingness and ability to work in a cross-functional, product-focused team, and the ability to actively participate in the conceptualization of future features
- Strong coder with deep technical knowledge of software development using Ruby on Rails
- Strong software architecture & data modeling skills and ability to base engineering decisions on product vision
- Strong knowledge of design patterns, and software engineering best practices
- Thorough and systematic approach to problem solving and debugging
- Academic training in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
Ideally you also have
- Fluency in modern cloud environments: you can easily navigate around AWS and interpret APM data. Observability is a familiar concept to you.
- Strong SQL skills that go beyond SELECTs and JOINs
You'll fit in with our company culture if you
- Are user centric and view technology as a tool to improve a user’s life
- Have a bias for action; the world is complex and unpredictable place so starting, releasing, and getting feedback iteratively is the only possible path to success
- Strive to be articulate and humble, make the complex simple, present ideas openly, accepting that being wrong is part of the process
- Are not afraid of tackling problems that others deem impossible
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial team, adapt easily to change, and enjoy a fast-paced environment
- Have worked in a fast-growing organization before (preferred)
Some of the benefits of being a Kaianeer:
You can directly influence the future of digital health in a team of industry experts and digital shapers.
You will work alongside serial entrepreneurs (previously founded and scaled another startup, Foodora).
You’ll enjoy accessible leaders, a hybrid (home/office) or remote work environment, and flexible vacation and working times.
We support your professional development and have a budget and PTO set aside for you just for that!
Happy hours, team events, and knowledge-sharing sessions.
Join us if you’re looking for an entrepreneurial adventure and an exciting place to grow personally and professionally.