Director of Methane Results
Remote (USA) or Houston, TX /
Business Development /
About Kairos Aerospace
At Kairos Aerospace, we combine innovative aerospace systems with advanced data science. Unlike traditional aerospace companies, we sell information, not hardware - we operate our sensors cost-effectively at continental scale to produce novel data streams about pressing global problems.
First on our list: spotting hard-to-monitor emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that accelerates climate change. Since starting continuous survey operations in 2018, Kairos has removed methane emissions equal to over 72.6 million tonnes of CO2e through our work. To put that in perspective, that’s equivalent to over 15.8 million cars being removed from the roads or shutting down about forty-seven 350 MW coal-fired power plants for a year.
We call that a good start.
As a team, we love science and engineering, we love getting our hands dirty with hardware and software, and we love seeing our work make a difference in the real world.
We’ve created a diverse, collaborative, supportive, and fun environment based on integrity and treating people right. So no matter your sex, gender, sexual identity, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, we welcome you and would like to work with you. :-)
It’s never boring, it’s always challenging, and we’re usually laughing.
A note of encouragement: If you don't meet 100% of the qualifications below, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role's requirements.
Individuals with a disability are encouraged to contact [email@example.com] to request assistance with your application and accommodations in advance of your interview.
Director Of Methane Results
Kairos Aerospace is a company that may already have more positive climate impact than any other company in human history. The Director of Methane Results (DMR) will be responsible for understanding the power dynamics of our target customers and for developing relationships with executives that have high influence over methane program decisions. The DMR will use a strategic thought leadership platform (TLP) that engages target customers in understanding how fast methane transparency is coming to the oil and gas industry and the implications of that new dynamic. Our approach is focused on genuinely caring about the methane goals and results of our customers, earning their trust, identifying their key inhibitors to progress and helping them address those challenges to improve their brand image, lower their cost of capital and capture better regulatory outcomes.
This position reports to our VP of Methane Results and works very closely with the CEO, whose expertise runs deep in building commercial momentum for cleantech start-ups. This is a critical hire for a company positioned to have unmatched impact in the battle against climate change.
Functions/Objectives: Leverage Target Research
- Leverage our internal research team to develop strong understanding of market trends and the competitive forces that are affecting each target customer.
- Develop a deep understanding of our target market segments and articulate how we design custom solutions that efficiently meet the goals of each target customer.
Functions/Objectives: Value Proposition and Strategic Messaging
- Convey targeted value propositions and solutions to position Kairos as very different from “one size fits all” competitor offerings. Articulate why this highly differentiated approach produces outstanding customer outcomes.
- Leverage superior listening skills to develop a deep understanding of customer pain points and key messaging and sales tools that convey how we can guide customers through challenges that aren’t always obviously tied to methane performance.
- Proficiently respond to challenging customer questions and unwind inaccurate industry preconceptions around methane.
Functions/Objectives: Team Selling
- Our entire company understands the importance of supporting customer engagement and BD team sales cycles.
- Provide feedback that helps us design complete solutions that address known “gaps” in today’s offering and provides a roadmap for improving several of the “stopgap” solutions we will need to put in place to offer a complete solution to customer needs.
- Participate in the development and commercialization of new product solutions and the enabling technologies, with deep understanding of the value our customers capture from our services.
- Manage and develop close working relationships with other groups throughout the organization (e.g., Field operations, Customer Success, Analysis and Reporting) to help ensure the company’s resources are being used efficiently to achieve our growth and climate impact goals.
- Assure the completeness and accuracy of our CRM (Salesforce) and related documentation, to ensure this tool is leveraged fully to impact our strategic growth and enhance customer relationships.
Functions/Objectives: Closing New Business Opportunities
- While all the capabilities above are important, perhaps the most important responsibility is to lead the pursuit and closing of new business opportunities for Kairos.
- Note that this is mostly a “hunter” position, as our Customer Success team leads most “upsell” and renewal opportunities with our customers. Roughly 20% of the incentive is tied to the success of the overall business development team, with the other 80% based on new business secured by each sales professional.
Functions/Objectives: Candidate Experience Expectations
- Dynamic sales professional and strong strategic thinker with proven experience in complex B2B sales. Successful track record of expanding revenue by carefully understanding and targeting market segments.
- Superior relationship-building skills and astute decision-making ability.
- Passionate about addressing the climate threat and helping customers through their methane journey.
- Ability to thrive in a team selling environment that is built on trust and open communication.
Life at Kairos
A few important facts about working at Kairos Aerospace:
- We provide health, dental, and vision insurance, including subsidized coverage for dependents. Our 401K plan provides a 50% employer match on employee contributions up to 8%.
- We think death-march hours are a bad way to run a company. We expect something approximating a 40-hour workweek, but mostly we just care that your work gets done. No, really. (Full disclosure: we occasionally put in some extra hours during crunch periods, but that is the exception, not the norm).
- We do not track vacation time, nor do we have set hours to be in the office. Instead, we encourage taking real vacations, mental health days, leaving early to pick up the kids, working from home, time-shifting commutes, staying home when you're sick, ducking out to the gym - we believe work time should be flexible.
In this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have transitioned to 100% remote work aside from hardware, flight operations, operations engineers, or any role that specifically states it is in the office. For most positions, we plan to continue having remote opportunities in perpetuity.
(We love it when kids make a cameo in a video call.)
Kairos Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Kairos makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.