Remote (USA) or Mountain View, CA /
People Ops /
About Kairos Aerospace
At Kairos Aerospace, we combine innovative aerospace systems with advanced data science. Unlike traditional aerospace companies, we sell information, not hardware - we operate our sensors cost-effectively at continental scale to produce novel data streams about pressing global problems.
First on our list: spotting hard-to-monitor emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that accelerates climate change. Since starting continuous survey operations in 2018, Kairos has removed methane emissions equal to over 72.6 million tonnes of CO2e through our work. To put that in perspective, that’s equivalent to over 15.8 million cars being removed from the roads or shutting down about forty-seven 350 MW coal-fired power plants for a year.
We call that a good start.
As a team, we love science and engineering, we love getting our hands dirty with hardware and software, and we love seeing our work make a difference in the real world.
We’ve created a diverse, collaborative, supportive, and fun environment based on integrity and treating people right. So no matter your sex, gender, sexual identity, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, we welcome you and would like to work with you. :-)
It’s never boring, it’s always challenging, and we’re usually laughing.
A note of encouragement: If you don't meet 100% of the qualifications below, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role's requirements.
Individuals with a disability are encouraged to contact [firstname.lastname@example.org] to request assistance with your application and accommodations in advance of your interview.
Although we may not have a current open position that matches your skill set, we are a growing company with lots of future employment opportunities. If Kairos has piqued your interest, please send us your resume and fill out our application questions.
The typical roles we hire for include:
- Software Engineers (FE, BE, Full-stack, Design, GIS, Data-focused, Build)
- Hardware Engineers
- Hardware Technicians
- Flight Systems Software Engineers
- Senior Scientists
- Data Scientists
- Sensor Scientists and Engineers
- Customer Success Managers
- Flight Operations Support Managers
- Operations Engineers
- Data Analysts
- GIS Analysts
- ESG Analysts
These are the typical qualities we look for in a team member:
- Positivity and the ability to work with a diverse team
- Open, inquisitive, and collaborative mindset
- Comfort in a start-up culture where you need to move quickly and be comfortable with pivots
- Ability to figure out and produce expertise on your own; ability and interest in quickly learning new tasks
- Conscientious and detail-oriented perspective
- Excellent communication and relationship skills
- Creative problem solving
Life at Kairos
A few important facts about working at Kairos Aerospace:
- We provide health, dental, and vision insurance, including subsidized coverage for dependents. Our 401K plan provides a 50% employer match on employee contributions up to 8%.
- We think death-march hours are a bad way to run a company. We expect something approximating a 40-hour workweek, but mostly we just care that your work gets done. No, really. (Full disclosure: we occasionally put in some extra hours during crunch periods, but that is the exception, not the norm).
- We do not track vacation time, nor do we have set hours to be in the office. Instead, we encourage taking real vacations, mental health days, leaving early to pick up the kids, working from home, time-shifting commutes, staying home when you're sick, ducking out to the gym - we believe work time should be flexible.
In this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have transitioned to 100% remote work aside from hardware, flight operations, operations engineers, or any role that specifically states it is in the office. For most positions, we plan to continue having remote opportunities in perpetuity.
(We love it when kids make a cameo in a video call.)
Kairos Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Kairos makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.