Lead Electrical Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA /
About Kairos Aerospace
At Kairos Aerospace, we combine innovative aerospace systems with advanced data science. Unlike traditional aerospace companies, we sell information, not hardware - we operate our sensors cost-effectively at continental scale to produce novel data streams about pressing global problems.
First on our list: spotting hard-to-monitor emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that accelerates climate change. Since starting continuous survey operations in 2018, Kairos has removed methane emissions equal to over 72.6 million tonnes of CO2e through our work. To put that in perspective, that’s equivalent to over 15.8 million cars being removed from the roads or shutting down about forty-seven 350 MW coal-fired power plants for a year.
We call that a good start.
As a team, we love science and engineering, we love getting our hands dirty with hardware and software, and we love seeing our work make a difference in the real world.
We’ve created a diverse, collaborative, supportive, and fun environment based on integrity and treating people right. So no matter your sex, gender, sexual identity, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, we welcome you and would like to work with you. :-)
It’s never boring, it’s always challenging, and we’re usually laughing.
A note of encouragement: If you don't meet 100% of the qualifications below, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role's requirements.
Individuals with a disability are encouraged to contact [firstname.lastname@example.org] to request assistance with your application and accommodations in advance of your interview.
Lead Electrical Engineer
Accurately detecting and quantifying methane emissions requires robust hardware solutions that scale. Hardware at Kairos requires tight integration of infrared cameras, laser systems, optical cameras, and GPS/INS systems using in-house software to collect the data needed to accurately detect and pinpoint methane plumes. The sensing systems are the basis for all that we do, and determine how effective we are at finding emissions. We are looking for curious and passionate engineers to help scale our hardware solutions and, as a result, mitigate climate change in an actionable and tangible manner.
An ideal lead electrical engineer at Kairos is someone excited about architecting the electronic system supporting the operation and collection of our novel laser-based methane detection system. You are energized by tackling difficult technical challenges and are passionate about electrical system architecture and design.
In this role, you will be working in a small, enthusiastic hardware team alongside experienced technicians, flight software engineers, and other hardware engineers to literally get a new form of aerial methane detection off the ground. Specifically, some of the day to day tasks include designing the power delivery system for the hardware package, planning out the signal receiver electronics, and coordinating with contractors to implement your specifications.
- Passion for working on mitigating climate change
- At least 5 years of electrical engineering design experience, startup experience strongly preferred
- Experience designing and laying out circuit boards
- Ability to work in Sunnyvale, CA office 3+ days per week
- Experience working in one or more of the following domains: electrical power systems (supply, distribution), laser controllers, opto-electrical systems
- Electrical lead experience
- FPGA, microcontroller, or single board computer experience
- Temperature controller design
- Low noise optical detection including ADCs
- Simulation of circuits using Spice or equivalent
- Experience writing test code using scripting languages such as Python
Life at Kairos
A few important facts about working at Kairos Aerospace:
- We provide health, dental, and vision insurance, including subsidized coverage for dependents. Our 401K plan provides a 50% employer match on employee contributions up to 8%.
- We think death-march hours are a bad way to run a company. We expect something approximating a 40-hour workweek, but mostly we just care that your work gets done. No, really. (Full disclosure: we occasionally put in some extra hours during crunch periods, but that is the exception, not the norm).
- We do not track vacation time, nor do we have set hours to be in the office. Instead, we encourage taking real vacations, mental health days, leaving early to pick up the kids, working from home, time-shifting commutes, staying home when you're sick, ducking out to the gym - we believe work time should be flexible.
In this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have transitioned to 100% remote work aside from hardware, flight operations, operations engineers, or any role that specifically states it is in the office. For most positions, we plan to continue having remote opportunities in perpetuity.
(We love it when kids make a cameo in a video call.)
Kairos Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Kairos makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.