Senior Front-End & Design Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA /
About Kairos Aerospace
At Kairos Aerospace, we combine innovative aerospace systems with advanced data science. Unlike traditional aerospace companies, we sell information, not hardware - we operate our sensors cost-effectively at continental scale to produce novel data streams about pressing global problems.
First on our list: spotting hard-to-monitor emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that accelerates climate change. Since starting continuous survey operations in 2018, Kairos has removed methane emissions equal to over 72.6 million tonnes of CO2e through our work. To put that in perspective, that’s equivalent to over 15.8 million cars being removed from the roads or shutting down about forty-seven 350 MW coal-fired power plants for a year.
We call that a good start.
As a team, we love science and engineering, we love getting our hands dirty with hardware and software, and we love seeing our work make a difference in the real world.
We’ve created a diverse, collaborative, supportive, and fun environment based on integrity and treating people right. So no matter your sex, gender, sexual identity, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, we welcome you and would like to work with you. :-)
It’s never boring, it’s always challenging, and we’re usually laughing.
A note of encouragement: If you don't meet 100% of the qualifications below, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role's requirements.
Individuals with a disability are encouraged to contact [email@example.com] to request assistance with your application and accommodations in advance of your interview.
Senior Software Engineer- Front-End/Design
**Hybrid schedule- remote and on-site (Sunnyvale, CA)**
Accurately detecting and quantifying methane emissions requires robust hardware solutions that scale. Hardware at Kairos requires tight integration of short wave infrared (SWIR) cameras, optical cameras, and GPS/INS systems using in-house software to collect the data needed to accurately detect and pinpoint methane plumes. This software interfaces directly with our field crews who pilot the planes and operate our field units. The hardware team is responsible for specifying components, improving the Kairos imaging pod through continuous design improvements, implementing new features in our flight software, and supporting the field crews by troubleshooting issues as they arise. We are looking for curious and passionate engineers to help scale our hardware solutions and, as a result, mitigate climate change in an actionable and tangible manner.
An ideal flight software engineer for this position is someone with experience and a passion for distilling complex hardware interactions into a reliable interface for our flight crew workflows. You will take ownership of and lead the development effort of the next generation interface between our flight crews and our imaging hardware. You will work with people from various backgrounds: flight software engineers focused on enabling backend features, hardware integration engineers deploying and testing new features, and our field crews using those improvements during data collection.
The successful candidate will have experience developing user interfaces for hardware components. They will be focused on building the right tool for their user, the flight crews, as opposed to the tool with as many features as possible. In this position, you will actively develop and test your changes against production hardware at our facility in Sunnyvale before remote deployment to our production units across the world.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent hands-on experience
- Either experience with or a passion to learn hardware components and how software interplays with it
- Designer experience- Figma or Sketch
- Adept at Python (or a quick study)
- Proficient in industry Git standards
- Able to work on-site in the Sunnyvale, CA 3 days per week. We require people to be vaccinated to work in the office and require masks when deemed necessary by Santa Clara county.
- The ability to learn quickly in a self-guided manner
- A belief in modern development practices - we do things like code reviews, unit testing, minimal-viable products, and fast development iteration
- iOS/Swift experience
- Experience with NodeJS and React
- Experience with C++
Life at Kairos
A few important facts about working at Kairos Aerospace:
- We provide health, dental, and vision insurance, including subsidized coverage for dependents. Our 401K plan provides a 50% employer match on employee contributions up to 8%.
- We think death-march hours are a bad way to run a company. We expect something approximating a 40-hour workweek, but mostly we just care that your work gets done. No, really. (Full disclosure: we occasionally put in some extra hours during crunch periods, but that is the exception, not the norm).
- We do not track vacation time, nor do we have set hours to be in the office. Instead, we encourage taking real vacations, mental health days, leaving early to pick up the kids, working from home, time-shifting commutes, staying home when you're sick, ducking out to the gym - we believe work time should be flexible.
In this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have transitioned to 100% remote work aside from hardware, flight operations, operations engineers, or any role that specifically states it is in the office. For most positions, we plan to continue having remote opportunities in perpetuity.
(We love it when kids make a cameo in a video call.)
Kairos Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Kairos makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.