Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
We’re the UK’s fastest growing hardware startup (and by some measures we’re the UK’s fastest growing startup full stop).
In just over three years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 150,000 kits to 86 countries, our oldest maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
Kano is available in over 1,000 physical retail stores across the US, and our partners include Amazon, Toys”R”Us, Barnes & Noble, Indigo and Adafruit.
Our products are used in over 1,000 code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education.
Kano has raised $15m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neil, James Higa & Troy Carter.
Our fans and customers include tech luminaries like Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Our most popular product is the Computer Kit, and in 2016 we launched three new products to the Kickstarter community.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and this role will be hired from a shortlist of at least 50% female candidates.
Kano is looking for a Management Account that will support the growing finance team. The right candidate will be responsible for producing timely and accurate management information (MI). Contribute to the decision-making process that will ensure business growth and long-term success. Relay information from accounting department to management team and help them utilise financial information appropriately. Assist to establish financial controls and processes within the business. Perform key reconciliation tasks.
- Prepare the monthly MI, improving processes with a target of completion by working day 7 (currently 10-12).
- Assist and coach the Asst Management Accountant/Accounts Assistant.
- Assist FD with production of consolidated budget and forecast in line with timetable agreed. Perform accurately, diligently and efficiently, producing high quality work to required standards.
- Work effectively to meet deadlines while organising and prioritising workload.
- Make sure spending is in line with budgets.
- Use own initiative to recommend ways to cut costs.
- Production of monthly management accounts in accordance with company’s requirements.
- Develop financial analysis in collaboration with data analysts and operations teams.
- Evaluate the company’s performance using financial and non-data and identify opportunities for business improvement.
- Be flexible and commercial to meet the demands of the finance team whilst supporting the wider business.
- Assist in production of budget and forecast, and analysis with commentaries against actual.
- Support working capital and CAPEX/investment management.
- Assist in preparing and executing effective financial controls and processes.
- Assist implementation of accounting systems including report writing.
- Ability to develop and improve report formats in line with business needs.
- Finalise payroll with assistance from HR and Assistant Mgmt Accountant upon approval from FD.
- Assist in preparing annual statutory accounts, including reconciliation of statutory accounts with management accounts.
- Understand all types of balance sheet accounts reconciliation.
- Understanding of P&L ACCOUNTS.
- Intercompany balance reconciliation (future requirements).
- Supervise multi-currency banks and credit cards reconciliation on a regular basis.
- Analysis of realised and unrealised forex gains & losses.
- Other related ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Proven experience as management accountant or similar role.
- Solid knowledge of UK accounting principles and GAAP.
- Excellent knowledge of cost accounting and reporting.
- Analytical mind with excellent communication and presentation skills.
- A problem-solver with attention to detail.
- 1-3 years post qualification experience from one of the CCAB-recognised Accountancy bodies or equivalent (ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc).Strong spreadsheet skills.
- Ability to work accurately and to tight deadlines.
- Talented individual eager to succeed in a fun Startup environment.