Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
-> We’re the UK’s fastest growing hardware startup (and by some measures we’re the UK’s fastest growing startup full stop).
->In just over three years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 150,000 kits to 86 countries, our oldest maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
->Kano is available in over 1,000 physical retail stores across the US, and our partners include Amazon, Toys”R”Us, Barnes & Noble, Indigo and Adafruit.
->Our products are used in over 1,000 code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education.
->Kano has raised $15m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neil, James Higa & Troy Carter.
->Our fans and customers include tech luminaries like Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
->Our most popular product is the Computer Kit, and in 2016 we launched three new products to the Kickstarter community.
->We’re an equal opportunity employer, and this role will be hired from a shortlist of at least 50% female candidates.
Media coverage has been a key driver for Kano’s growth from its first, wildly successful Kickstarter campaign, through to successful product launches this year (e.g. check the News tab here). The business is evolving rapidly, expanding beyond its original tech community into the mainstream. Also, launching a new generation of products, with lots more releases and partnerships in the pipeline . Meanwhile, the real secret to Kano’s success is its mission of helping people to “create, not consume” with technology, which means we have friends in high places (Chris Sacca, Jimmy Wales, Steve Wozniak), as well as a huge grassroots movement.
The PR Manager will need to need to help us extend beyond technology and business press, into mainstream press and broadcast outlets. You’ll be responsible for packaging up a rapid cadence of stories, and getting them to the right media through your own contacts, and our world class agencies. Done well, PR will help power Kano through more consecutive years of huge growth, and help the company stand apart in an increasingly exciting and busy market.
- Lead Kano’s PR strategy taking us from technology and business press into consumer press and broadcast titles.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key US and European media outlets.
- Create and maintain Kano’s PR calendar, a weekly calendar, featuring community news, product launches, corporate news and events.
- Manage Kano’s PR agencies and act as a daily point of contact for them within the Company. Increase Kano’s direct relationship with media outlets in the consumer, business and education media.
- Coordinate product reviews, and where needed, media tours to support product launches.
- Responsibility for maintaining Kano PR resources (press pack, contact lists, etc).Assist in tracking media coverage, customer stories and regularly reporting progress on business KPIs.
- Assist organizing promotional events such as press conferences, when required.
- 5-10 years of PR experience at a consumer electronics, software or similar business. Existing relationships with relevant US and European media outlets.
- Focus on mainstream consumer PR, as well as tech and business PR.
- Experience at strong, mission-lead businesses is especially valuable. Able to communicate Kano’s overall “create, don’t consume” mission.
- Proven track record of driving frequent, valuable coverage for a consumer brand, especially the creation of stories from a community of customers.
- Understanding of how to manage and coordinate with external PR agencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of pitching the vision of Kano, and the detail of its latest products.
- Strong time management, capacity to manage multiple projects, in a very fast moving business. Strong bias to action.