Business Development Director
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
We’re one the UK’s fastest growing startups and Fast Company calls us one of the top ten consumer electronics companies worldwide
In just over three years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 150,000 kits to 86 countries, our oldest maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
Kano is available in over 1,000 physical retail stores across the US, and our partners include Amazon, Toys”R”Us, Barnes & Noble, Indigo and Adafruit.
Our products are used in over 1,000 code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education.
Kano has raised $15m from the world’s best technology investors, including Jim Breyer, Marc Benioff, Saul Klein, Index Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neil, James Higa & Troy Carter.
Our fans and customers include tech luminaries like Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Our most popular product is the Computer Kit, and in 2016 we launched three new products to the Kickstarter community.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and this role will be hired from a shortlist of at least 50% female candidates.
Following 2016’s launch of three new products, and the announcement of new retail partners in the US, Canada and beyond, Kano is looking for a Business Development Director who will be responsible for the overall management of all strategic and operational Marketing and Customer Relationship activities for Kano. In order to support the growth of Kano, we are seeking partnerships with third parties to develop content with the aim of:
1. enriching the product experience through branded content;
2. building our awareness, through tactical licensing deals and campaigns; and
3. solidifying our position as the category defining product in our space.
4. Integrating Kano with major technology platforms to increase distribution and awareness
- Run point on key partnerships with studios and platforms
- Maintain active opportunities list and work with Head of Education & Partnerships and VP Finance to source new opportunities
- Support the CEO in outbound preparation and delivery of product pitches
- Negotiate commercial terms with partners to deliver term sheets for leadership team discussion
- Support ongoing partnerships with regular check-ins and resolution of issues
- Launch content collaborations with brands by coordinating with the marketing and product teams
- Clarify Kano's partnership approach and determine which potential partners offer most bang for the buck, and best support for our product roadmap
- Manage Kano's long-term relationships with strategic partners (Microsoft, Amazon Alexa, Cartoon Network, etc).
- Develop tactical licensing deals for inclusion in the 2017 products, especially the Computer Kit (Disney, Alexa, Kloss).
- >4 years commercial and partnerships experience
- Excellent negotiation skills, proven track record of successfully pitching for new business
- Proven track record of increasing revenue through generation of leads