Full Stack Developer (Web/API/Node.js)
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Its mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
Inspired by a challenge from a six-year-old – build a computer kit “as simple and fun as Lego” – Kano broke records on Kickstarter in 2013, with backing from Steve Wozniak, Harper Reed, and thousands of parents, young people, artists and teachers in 86 countries. Kano was co-founded in January 2013 by Alex Klein, Saul Klein, and Yonatan Raz-Fridman, and has raised seed funding from Index Ventures, James Higa, Troy Carter and Shana Fisher, among others.
In 2015, it announced a Series A led by Jim Breyer, with participation from Jim O’Neill and Collaborative Fund. A new kind of computer company, built for creativity, Kano is headquartered in London, UK.
Abut the position
As Kano continues to grow, we’re looking for a full-time full-stack Node.js developers to join the team. This person should be a hungry, ingenious, and a hands-on full-stack Node.js web developer to work on API Development, IoT projects and Web Applications (yes, even standalone Web Apps).
You’ll work to build our last generation creative coding products, that allow beginners of all ages to create apps, drawings and .... more exciting things we can’t yet reveal.Our stack includes technologies such as Node 4/ES6 (both API and IoT development), Express, Socket.io, MongoDB, Redis, Web Components, Polymer, Angular, VueJS, HTML5, CSS3.
This role is a unique opportunity to prototype and build new applications and creative games while integrating new features into a fast-growing online platform, where thousands of kids around the world are creating and sharing millions of lines of code – in the form of classic games, art projects, and Minecraft megaliths, with more to come.
- Experience in Node.js and Express
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL databases
- Experience in developing Restful APIs
- Comfortable in using a Unix environment
- Experience with one or more MV* frameworks (E.g. Angular, React, BackBone, Meteor.js..)
- Solid UI development skills
- Good understanding of MV* architecture, single-page applications and API integration
- Product insight – you can speak and spec with simplicity and clarity
- Passionate about Web Technologies
- Used a build system like Jenkins
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with a test framework e.g. Mocha
- Experience using Redis
- Creative and versatile mindset
- Passionate about integrated devices
- Play experience with Arduino or Raspberry PI
- Development of IoT interactive software
- Expansion of the Web API
- Development of Web based applications (both in and out of the browser with Chrome Apps or Electron)
- Design and scale API endpoints
- Write technical documentation
- Write unit and functional tests
- Suggest and make changes to improve system performance
What you should expect by working at Kano?
- Work in a development team that are building the next generation IoT products
- Play with new tech and gadgets to explore new avenues of innovation
- We tend to enjoy theme parks but also open for new ideas
- We give a £2,000 annual benefits package which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan (we’ll tell you why EMI is important)
- Work with exceptional and diverse group of multinational people
- Playful office environment in East London (we love flying drones and play table tennis)