Embedded Systems (IoT) Engineer
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Its mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it. Inspired by a challenge from a six-year-old – build a computer kit “as simple and fun as Lego” – Kano broke records on Kickstarter in 2013, with backing from Steve Wozniak, Harper Reed, and thousands of parents, young people, artists and teachers in 86 countries. Kano was co-founded in January 2013 by Alex Klein, Saul Klein, and Yonatan Raz-Fridman, and has raised seed funding from Index Ventures, James Higa, Troy Carter and Shana Fisher, among others. In 2015, it announced a Series A led by Jim Breyer, with participation from Jim O’Neill and Collaborative Fund. A new kind of computer company, built for creativity, Kano is headquartered in London, UK.
As Kano continues to grow, we’re looking for a Embedded Systems Engineer to join the team. This person should be a hungry, ingenious, and a software engineer with a solid track record of writing high-performance and robust software, and building and launching systems from the ground up.
This role is a unique opportunity to prototype and build systems that run on low voltage embedded systems like Single Board Computers and microcontrollers which integrate with our core APIs. These APIs power our applications and creative games on our fast-growing online platform, where thousands of kids around the world are creating and sharing millions of lines of code – in the form of classic games, art projects, Minecraft megaliths and much much more
Our stack includes technologies such as Node 4/ES6 (both API and IoT development), Express, Socket.io, MongoDB, Redis, Web Components, Polymer, Angular, VueJS, HTML5, CSS3.
- Bare-metal or lightweight RTOS based development
- API Development
- Familiarity with the Linux kernel
- Comfortable configuring embedded Linux-based environment.
- Product insight – you can speak and spec with simplicity and clarity
- Components (Polymer) with good UI development skills
- Developed Linux desktop appsExperience with Linux bring up on ARM based boards
- Experience in developing Restful APIsExperience with NoSQL and relational databases. Good understanding of MV* architecture, single-page application frameworks (e.g. Angular, React, VueJS) and API integration
- Familiar with TDD/BDD
- Built projects with the Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Lead systems engineer in building interactive IoT software that runs optimally on embedded systems
- Understand product briefs and translate it into technical specifications
- Architect solutions and assist in problem solving
- Maintain technical documentation
- Suggest and make changes to improve system performance
- Mentor and support junior developers
What you should expect by working at Kano?
- Work in a development team that are building the next generation creative IoT products
- Play with new tech and gadgets to explore new avenues of innovation
- We tend to enjoy theme parks but also open for new ideas
- We give a £1,600 annual benefits package which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan (we’ll tell you why EMI is important)Work with exceptional and diverse group of multinational people
- Playful office environment in East London (we love flying drones and play table tennis)Free lunches on Fridays