Front-End Lead Developer
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Its mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
Inspired by a challenge from a six-year-old – build a computer kit “as simple and fun as Lego” – Kano broke records on Kickstarter in 2013, with backing from Steve Wozniak, Harper Reed, and thousands of parents, young people, artists and teachers in 86 countries.
Kano was co-founded in January 2013 by Alex Klein, Saul Klein, and Yonatan Raz-Fridman, and has raised seed funding from Index Ventures, James Higa, Troy Carter and Shana Fisher, among others. In 2015, it announced a Series A led by Jim Breyer, with participation from Jim O’Neill and Collaborative Fund.
A new kind of computer company, built for creativity, Kano is headquartered in London, UK.
About the position
As Kano continues to grow, we’re looking for a full-time Frontend Lead Developer to join us. This person should be a hungry, ingenious, and a hands-on developer to lead development in our Agile-based Digital team. You will be responsible for supporting existing consumer web properties, maintain integrations between our websites and third party systems, craft creative solutions to manage content and deliver award-winning brand experiences and highly engaging features.
Ideal candidates will have at least two years of commercial experience in web development, deeply value design thinking, work hard to hit tight business deadlines and frequently deploy highly-creative and engaging web solutions to users.
- Good experience in at least one JS framework, preferably React or Angular
- Solid UI development skills including responsive design
- Design web solutions- that render consistently in different browsers
- Good understanding of API integration and various feed and data formats
- Product insight – you can speak and spec with simplicity and clarity
- Creative and versatile mindset
- Full-stack development experience (Server-side in either Ruby or Node.js and MySQL)
- Experience in online shopping software
- Passionate about integrated devices
- Have an interest in UX practices
- Responsible for our brand websitesDrive website front-end usability, user experience and the effectiveness of information architecture
- Optimize back-end architecture, for site performance and maximum conversion, across multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, & tablet)
- Develop new and maintain existing integrations between applications and third party systems
- Develop custom scripts and tools to automate processes
- Provide technical assistance to multiple teams throughout the organisation to ensure timely execution of merchandise and content updates
- Clearly communicate solutions to team members and clients both verbally and in written documentation.
- Initiate and oversee technical site audits, manage web analytics and enhance search engine optimization.
- Implement new digital technologies to maximize the consumer experience and expand product exposure.
- Ensures quality is of a high standard across multiple platforms
What you should expect by working at Kano?
- Work in a development team that are building the next generation IoT products
- Play with new tech and gadgets to explore new avenues of innovation
- We tend to enjoy theme parks but also open for new ideas
- We give a £1,600 annual benefits package (before tax) which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan (we’ll tell you why EMI is important)
- Work with exceptional and diverse group of multinational people
- Playful office environment in East London (we love flying drones and play table tennis)