Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Its mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
Inspired by a challenge from a six-year-old – build a computer kit “as simple and fun as Lego” – Kano broke records on Kickstarter in 2013, with backing from Steve Wozniak, Harper Reed, and thousands of parents, young people, artists and teachers in 86 countries.
Kano was co-founded in January 2013 by Alex Klein, Saul Klein, and Yonatan Raz-Fridman, and has raised seed funding from Index Ventures, James Higa, Troy Carter and Shana Fisher, among others. In 2015, it announced a Series A led by Jim Breyer, with participation from Jim O’Neill and Collaborative Fund.
A new kind of computer company, built for creativity, Kano is headquartered in London, UK.
Kano is the fastest growing tech start-up in the UK in 2016 (Source: The Next Web)
Kano is a Webby Award 2016 winner for Connected Apps & Wearables (Source: Webby Awards)
About the role
As Kano continues to grow, we’re looking for a full-time front-end to join the team. This person should be a hungry, ingenious, and hands-on front-end creator to lead our web development. You'll work to build our creative coding projects and take responsibility for the Kano Blocks codebase. You'll work to expand our online platform, Kano World (http://world.kano.me) and pioneer a number of imaginative online projects to make learning technology simple and fun for the next generation.
This role is a unique opportunity to prototype new applications and creative games while integrating new features into a fast-growing online platform, where thousands of kids around the world are creating and sharing millions of lines of code – in the form of classic games, art projects, and Minecraft megaliths, with more to come.
We are looking for multi-disciplinary, creative technologists that want to be challenged from a product perspective as well as technological, and are ready to level up and build a team. We love open-source and integrated devices and we work with Node.js and client-side MV* frameworks on the web.
Ideal candidates will come from places that:
*deeply value design thinking
*work hard to maximize platform engagement
*frequently deploy to users
- Experience with one or more MV* frameworks (E.g. Angular 1/2, Polymer, React, Vue, BackBone, Meteor..)
- Experience working with CSS pre-processors (E.g. SASS, SCSS, LESS CSS, Stylus..)
- Good UI development skills and brand sense
- Good understanding of MV* architecture, single-page applications and API integration
- Product insight – you can speak and spec with simplicity and clarity
Nice to have
- Full-stack experience
- Node.js and server side languages
- Creative and versatile mindset
- Open-source contributor
- Passionate about integrated devices
What you should expect by working at Kano?
- Working with an exceptional group of multinational people
- Playful office environment in East London (we love flying drones and play table tennis)
- We tend to enjoy theme parks but also open for new ideas
- We give a £2,000 annual benefits package which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan (we’ll tell you why EMI is important)