Kano HQ, London
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it.
We’re the UK’s fastest growing hardware startup (and by some measures we’re the UK’s fastest growing startup full stop).
In just over three years, we’ve sold, built and shipped over 150,000 kits to 86 countries, our oldest maker was 81 years old, our youngest was 4.
Kano is available in over 1,000 physical retail stores across the US, and our partners include Amazon, Toys”R”Us, Barnes & Noble, Indigo and Adafruit.
Our products are used in over 1,000 code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education.
Kano has raised $15m from the world’s best technology investors, including co-founder Saul Klein, Breyer Capital, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neil, James Higa & Troy Carter.
Our fans and customers include tech luminaries like Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more.
Our most popular product is the Computer Kit, and in 2016 we launched three new products to the Kickstarter community.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and this role will be hired from a shortlist of at least 50% female candidates.
Kano was created by a Kickstarter campaign - effectively created by its community.
And since then Kano’s community has been a crucial factor in its success, helping to spread the word about new products, provide feedback and insights, and in 2016 helping us to fund a new generation of creative computing kits. We take care of our community of customers and fans, and they look after us.
So it’s no surprise that we’re looking for someone very special as our Community Manager. Someone who can articulate our vision, create content that educates and touches our community. Also, someone not afraid to develop real relationships with our fans. You’ll be reporting to our Head of Communication, a veteran from from the games industry, and supported by a world class marketing and creative organisation.
- Own the growth and health of Kano’s community, through our social media channels, including the Kano Partner Program, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and others.
- Manage the plan, reporting and day to day content calendar for Kano’s key community channels: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and beyond.
- Grow and manage the Kano Partner Program, our network YouTube content creators, including our day to day relationship with them.
- Own the planning, reporting and day to day management of Kano’s blog (blog.kano.me), working with the creative team to orchestrate the delivery of the content and the content marketing editorial calendar.
- Represent Kano publicly in events and trade shows.
- Work with customer care to surface interesting customer stories that Kano can leverage for PR.
- 3-5 years of Community Management at a mission-led business or organisation with community at its core.
- Proven track record of managing and delivering a social media calendar across multiple channels, resulting in significant growth in community size and engagement.
- Experience as a successful YouTube presenter is highly valued.
- Understanding of the maker movement, and the learn-to-code industry is especially valuable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of pitching the vision of Kano, and the detail of its latest products.
- Strong time management, capacity to manage multiple projects, in a very fast moving business. Strong bias to action.