Desktop Apps Developer
Kano HQ, London
Kano creates computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Its mission is to empower a new creative generation to make and play with technology, not just consume it. Inspired by a challenge from a six-year-old – build a computer kit “as simple and fun as Lego” – Kano broke records on Kickstarter in 2013, with backing from Steve Wozniak, Harper Reed, and thousands of parents, young people, artists and teachers in 86 countries. Kano was co-founded in January 2013 by Alex Klein, Saul Klein, and Yonatan Raz-Fridman, and has raised seed funding from Index Ventures, James Higa, Troy Carter and Shana Fisher, among others. In 2015, it announced a Series A led by Jim Breyer, with participation from Jim O’Neill and Collaborative Fund. A new kind of computer company, built for creativity, Kano is headquartered in London, UK.
The Core Kit is Kano’s premium software and hardware experience which empowers users to assemble their own computer from scratch and take control of its internals via the software; it is a computer that you make yourself! As a member of the team devoted to delivering on this promise you will help sculpt a complete Linux distribution all the way from the applications which are run on the system to the way we manage the services required for the system to operate effectively.
Your primary focus will be delivering intuitive user-facing applications which aim to make things as simple as possible while still allowing their creativity to shine through but you will have opportunities to work on integrations with our line of cutting-edge IoT devices, optimise our system services and write device drivers for the hardware that we ship with the kit.
Our OS runs on the Raspberry Pi and is based on Raspbian (in turn based on Debian Linux) and on top of this we add a bunch of applications written in a blend of Python, C, C++, Lua and JS using frameworks such as Qt5, Löve2D, Gtk and a plethora of web technologies.
This role offers the opportunity to impact the 100,000+ users who are already using the Core Kit to discover the world of technology and to influence the direction of the product as we move to 1 million users.
- Solid knowledge of at least one application development language (C/C++ and Python preferred)
- Experience developing user-facing desktop applications
- Comfortable developing for a Linux environment
- Good grasp of testing methodologies
- Understanding of how to optimise applications for speed
- Ability to think around problems to provide solutions which don’t compromise our commitment to quality and simplicity
- Predisposition to work with the team to find optimal solutions
- Quick and eager learner
- Experience with GUI frameworks, particularly Qt5
- Used a build system like Jenkins
- Experience developing for the Raspberry Pi
- Knowledge of agile methodologies, particularly SCRUM
- Experience developing games
- Passion for developing fun and educational experiences
- Experience testing software on hardware devices
- Solid understanding of SystemD
- Understanding of Debian packaging system
- Development of desktop applications
- Work with designers to simplify user flows and provide polish
- Write technical documentation
- Write unit and functional tests
- Suggest and make changes to improve system performance
What you should expect by working at Kano?
- Work in a development team that are teaching the next generation of coders
- Play with new tech and gadgets to explore new avenues of innovation
- We tend to enjoy theme parks but also open for new ideas
- We give a £1,600 annual benefits package which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan (we’ll tell you why EMI is important)
- Work with exceptional and diverse group of multinational people
- Playful office environment in East London (we love flying drones and play table tennis)