Software Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA
Engineering & Design /
Video editing is the final frontier of software tools moving to the cloud. We're making the next generation of modern creator tools to enable everyone to share their story online. Join us at Kapwing on our mission to help marketing, communications, and media teams make more and better video content faster.
Everyone is a creator. The problem, however, is that today's tools get in the way of expressing our creativity fully. Especially when it comes to video, the gap between an idea and a video is wide enough that it's hard to even start.
Our mission at Kapwing is to empower digital storytellers and the creative teams they work within. Kapwing is a video creation hub that makes marketing and communications teams 10x faster in creating video content together. Millions of creators every month choose Kapwing to tell their story and bring their ideas to life.
Our vision is to build a modern, collaborative video editing platform that serves as the go-to tool for anyone creating video for work. Being in the browser allows us to turn video editing, a traditionally heavyweight, time consuming workflow, into a joyful, collaborative, and fully-featured experience. We believe that AI - generative AI and automations from the transcript -- can make storytelling easier, more fun, and more distributed across an organization.
While software is the core of our product, being creative is the core of our work. Every team at Kapwing, from engineering to content to customer success, values trying new things, moving quickly, and helping creators in new ways. Join us on our journey to democratize creative tools and invent the future stack of video creation.
We are looking for a Technical Engineering Manager to lead our Studio team. This team is responsible for Kapwing's Repurpose Studio engine, helping marketing teams to turn long-form video into shareable video highlights. This manager will have four direct reports and will partner with engineers, PMs and QA to launch new features.
Engineering Managers at Kapwing provide technical leadership to major projects and manage a team of engineers. You manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and develop your team. EMs will meet regularly with the engineers on your team in order to gather feedback from them on topics ranging from project progress, internal processes, career development, mentoring, and general satisfaction. You will actively contribute to technical projects as well.
- Defines achievable and impactful OKRs and staffing goals. Ensures that the tasks laid out in sprints are inline with quarterly objectives.
- Manages 4 software engineers at varying levels of seniority. Takes an active role in growing headcount, coaching employees, and developing technical talent.
- Owns engineering culture on their team. Cares personally, encourages collaboration, and communicates actively.
- Works to prevent knowledge silos. Ensures a healthy level of delegation from senior to junior engineers, even when this may come at the expense of schedule.
- Triages bugs, oversees releases, and enforces a high quality bar on new releases. Advocates for technical investments and best practices
- Partners with Product Managers to define, build, and launch full-stack features (React, Node, Python) for one of the world's most popular cloud-based video editors.
- Manages long pole exploratory projects: defines success quantitatively, ensures that work is structured, involves product and design at the right time.
- Strong cross-functional communicator. Conveys technical complexity to non technical staff. Collaborates across functions.
- Evangelizes new technologies, including LLMs and generative models. Consistently prototypes to see what is possible.
- 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams with 4+ people. Familiar with sprint processes, technical mentorship, and performance management.
- 6+ years of production-level full-stack engineering in a modern web stack. Comfortable with React, Typescript, Node, automated testing (i.e. Cypress, Jest), MongoDB, and REST APIs
- Experience at a high-tech company that we recognize and trust. Vision for world-class engineering culture.
- Strategic and analytical. Comfortable with scripting, data instrumentation, and feature prioritization. Relates engineering work to business impact.
- Strong communication skills. Collaborates with product, support, QA, other engineering teams on planning, release monitoring, and critical debug.
- Work two days a week from downtown San Francisco office
- Authorized to work in the USA without visa sponsorship
- Experience or comfort with leading hybrid teams
- Experience with AI applications, like transcription or GPT4
- Familiar with frontend release management for a twice-weekly release candence
- Entrepreneurial: Experience with startups, ideally as a founder or executive
$160,000 - $220,000 a year
Kapwing is a hybrid company with about 35 FTE. Most Kapwingers are based in the Bay Area and work Tuesday and Thursday from the HQ near Civic Center in San Francisco. We also have a smaller in-person team based in NYC. Our ideal candidate will join and develop our in-person community here in the Bay Area.
Done is better than perfect: Trying new things quickly matters at Kapwing. We've always believed that the best way to learn is to try to put something out there, and then iterate and improve it over time.
Get better everyday: We strive for excellence and we value our craft of writing quality software. At work, we want to challenge ourselves to improve every day.
Have fun: We don't take ourselves too seriously here at Kapwing. We're a product that people use to make all sorts of silly memes.
Inclusion matters: We take pride in our diverse team and a safe and inclusive community at work. We're a female-founded, female-led company. We actively make sure our office (virtual or not) is a safe space for everyone.
Speak up: Kapwing is a place where different stories and opinions are valued. We want kind debates, because we know that they will lead us to the best product.
Think original: We love change - and we never want to get stuck in one way of doing things. We embrace what's relevant at any given time.
Health: Kapwing offers competitive health, vision, and dental insurance for Kapwingers and dependents. We have multiple plans and providers to choose from.
Time off: We keep reasonable hours, and when it's time to rest, we take that seriously. We offer flexible time off and ask our team to take 2-4 weeks off each year.
401(k): We help Kapwingers plan for retirement with a sponsored 401(k) program.
Free Lunch: Kapwingers order lunch together when working in the office and enjoy free snacks, soft drinks, and Friday boba.
Office: We have a gorgeous office space in SF with a private roof deck, exposed brick, and tons of live plants. For our New York City employees, we lease an office space in a lovely, light-filled coworking space in Bushwick.
Parental Leave: We offer paid time off for new parents to focus on the things that matter most.
Team Events: We have in-person team events in our downtown office including dinners, weekly happy hours, creative workshops, holiday parties, and more. Historically, we've also done hiking trips, ski trips, picnics, and neighborhood art crawls as a team.
Equipment: We'll give you a new Mac laptop and help provide other office equipment that you need to do your best work.
Flexible hours: We have a hybrid work policy, with our SF and NYC office available 24/7 and required in-person attendance on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We also have flexible hours for balanced schedules that fit around employee constraints and preferences.
Our hiring process is designed for candidates to learn about our company just as much as it is for our team to learn about a candidate. Most candidates will start with a short intro phone call , and depending on the team, a sample project or skills-based interviews will be scheduled afterwards. For SF and NYC job seekers, we invite candidates onsite final interview to meet some of the team and see Kapwing's office, or we do the "onsite" virtually if you prefer.
Throughout our interview process, we strive to have empathy, communication, and professionalism.
Kapwing is a Series-A stage startup backed by top investors including CRV, Kleiner Perkins, Shasta Ventures, and Village Global. You can learn more about our company and the faces on our team by visiting our careers page, reading our popular blog, subscribing on YouTube, or following us on Instagram.
The positions that are currently open at Kapwing are constantly being updated. We also know that the best candidates don't always fit into a role description. If you feel excited about joining us on our mission, please reach out to us with how we could be a good fit.