Full-Stack Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering & Design /
Video editing is the final frontier of software tools moving to the cloud. We're making the next generation of modern creators tools to enable everyone to share their story online. Join us at Kapwing on our mission to make content creation fast, accessible, and collaborative.
Everyone is a creator. The problem, however, is that today's tools get in the way of expressing our creativity fully. Especially when it comes to video, the gap between an idea and a video is wide enough that it's hard to even start.
Our mission at Kapwing is to make content creation easier and more accessible. Our main product, Kapwing Studio, is an online video editor that is both powerful and easy to use. Millions of creators every month choose Kapwing to tell their story and bring their ideas to life.
Our vision is to build a modern video editing platform that serves as the go-to tool for anyone creating video for Youtube, social media, or work. Being in the browser allows us to turn video editing, a traditionally heavyweight, time consuming workflow, into a joyful, collaborative, and fully-featured experience. We believe that we can use technology to augment the video editing and content creation experience, and we've already started on this path with a wide array of templates, applications of artificial intelligence, and new pipelines for exporting and video processing.
While software is the core of our product, being creative is the core of our work. Every team at Kapwing, from engineering to content to customer success, values trying new things, moving quickly, and helping creators in new ways. Join us on our journey to democratize creative tools and invent the future stack of video creation.
We’re looking to hire a talented full-stack software engineers to help build this modern media creation platform. This position is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Engineering at the Kapwing HQ in San Francisco.
Compensation Range: $120,000 - $180,000
- Define, build, and launch full-stack features (React, Node, Express, and Python) for one of the world's most popular cloud-based video editors.
- Implement new features and improvements to Kapwing’s Studio and other core products
- Grow a website from 2 to 10 Million monthly-active users
- Fix bugs and improve performance
- Test new features, monitor releases, and mitigate risk
- Investigate and prototype new technologies and build applications on top of ML-powered APIs
- Create a culture of engineering excellence by refining our processes, documentation, onboaring and interviewing practices, and other cross-functional systems. Collaborate with, mentor, and teach other engineers on your area of expertise.
- 1-2 years of production-level software engineering experience
- Experience prototyping and building new products from scratch
- Production-level experience with web development. Has built or contributed to a live website.
- Can evaluate, configure, and incorporate new web technology
- Can navigate errors and leverage monitoring systems like Sentry, Papertrail, Heroku, etc
- Scrappy: Define and quickly execute on MVPs to test out product hypotheses. Descopes problems to avoid getting lost in the weeds.
- Entrepreneurial: Excited about joining a small, high-growth team and contributing across all areas of the company
- No ego: There’s a lot we wish we could do but don’t have time for. Must have the ability to put the product’s needs first.
- [Preferred] Interest in or experience with video engineering (processing, uploads, FFMPEG, visual recognition, etc)
- [Preferred] Passion for serving creative professionals and interest in media
- Work authorization in the USA.
Done is better than perfect: Trying new things quickly matters at Kapwing. We've always believed that the best way to learn is to try to put something out there, and then iterate and improve it over time.
Get better everyday: We strive for excellence and we value our craft of writing quality software. At work, we want to challenge ourselves to improve every day.
Have fun: We don't take ourselves too seriously here at Kapwing. We're a product that people use to make all sorts of silly memes.
Inclusion matters: We take pride in our diverse team and a safe and inclusive community at work. We're a female-founded, female-led company. We actively make sure our office (virtual or not) is a safe space for everyone.
Speak up: Kapwing is a place where different stories and opinions are valued. We want kind debates, because we know that they will lead us to the best product.
Think original: We love change - and we never want to get stuck in one way of doing things. We embrace what's relevant at any given time.
Health: Kapwing offers competitive health, vision, and dental insurance for Kapwingers and dependents. We have multiple plans and providers to choose from.
Time off: We keep reasonable hours, and when it's time to rest, we take that seriously. We offer unlimited paid vacation and ask our team to take minimum 2 weeks off each year.
401(k): We help Kapwingers plan for retirement with a sponsored 401(k) program.
Free Lunch: We order lunch together for the whole team when working in the office.
Office: We have a gorgeous office space with a private roof deck, exposed brick, and tons of live plants.
Parental Leave: We offer paid time off for new parents to focus on the things that matter most.
Team events: We have in-person team events in our downtown office. During the pandemic, we've hosted weekly virtual team events and outdoor gatherings for everyone at Kapwing like a flower arrangement workshop, making candles, and more. We're excited to have some fun company offsites this year. In the past, we've done ski trips and special dinners.
Equipment: We'll give you a new computer and help provide any other office equipment that you need to do your best work.
Flexible hours: We have a fully hybrid work policy, meaning that Kapwingers can work from the office or work from home whenever they prefer. We also have flexible hours and attendance for balanced schedules that fit around employee constraints and preferences.
Our hiring process is designed for candidates to learn about our company just as much as it is for our team to learn about a candidate. Most candidates will start with a short, behavioral interview, and depending on the team, a sample project or work oriented interviews will be scheduled afterwards. Throughout our interview process, we strive to have empathy, communication, and professionalism.
Kapwing is a Series-A stage startup backed by top investors including CRV, Kleiner Perkins, Shasta Ventures, and Village Global. You can learn more about our company and the faces on our team by visiting our careers page, reading our popular blog, or following us on Instagram.
The positions that are currently open at Kapwing are constantly being updated. We also know that the best candidates don't always fit into a role description. If you feel excited about joining us on our mission, please reach out to us with how we could be a good fit.