Full-Stack Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering & Design /
Kapwing empowers creators. It’s an online image and video platform that people make, edit, and collaborate on multimedia projects for work, school, and life. We’re enabling modern storytellers, entertainers, educators, and visionaries to express themselves and design in the “4th dimension” (content with a timeline). Our vision is to become the go-to multimedia editor for teams to collaborate and meet demands for content quantity without sacrificing quality.
With remote work, remote learning, an economic downturn and the rise of social media as a political advocacy channel, video and media entrepreneurship have never been more relevant for the world. Join a company that's democratizing creative tools and inventing the future stack of video creation. We value velocity, growth, and impact, plus a strong community of coworkers who support each other and collaborate.
We’re also a Series A startup founded by two X-Googlers/Harvard/Stanford and backed by CRV, Kleiner Perkins and other top VCs. We've grown to millions of monthly-active creators through purely organic channels. Read more about Kapwing in TechCrunch.
We’re looking to hire talented full-stack software engineers to help build this modern media creation platform. This position is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Engineering at the Kapwing HQ in San Francisco.
- Define, build, and launch full-stack features (React, Node, Express, and Python) for one of the world's most popular cloud-based video editors.
- Implement new features and improvements to Kapwing’s Studio and other core products
- Grow a website from 2 to 10 Million monthly-active users
- Fix bugs and improve performance
- Test new features, monitor releases, and mitigate risk
- Investigate and prototype new technologies and build applications on top of ML-powered APIs
- Create a culture of engineering excellence by refining our processes, documentation, onboaring and interviewing practices, and other cross-functional systems. Collaborate with, mentor, and teach other engineers on your area of expertise.
- 2-8 years of production-level software engineering experience
- Experience prototyping and building new products from scratch
- Experience with web development. Has built or contributed to a live website.
- Can evaluate, configure, and incorporate new web technology
- Can navigate errors and leverage monitoring systems like Sentry, Papertrail, Heroku, etc
- Scrappy: Define and quickly execute on MVPs to test out product hypotheses. Descopes problems to avoid getting lost in the weeds.
- Creative thinker: Thinks of many solutions to a problem
- Entrepreneurial: Excited about joining a small, high-growth team and contributing across all areas of the company
- No ego: There’s a lot we wish we could do but don’t have time for. Must have the ability to put the product’s needs first.
- [Preferred] Interest in or experience with video engineering (processing, uploads, FFMPEG, visual recognition, etc)
- [Preferred] Passion for serving creative professionals and interest in media
We’re an engineering-heavy team, all interested in learning the latest web technologies and applying them to video, photography, and social media content. Founded by two product managers, Kapwing has a strong design and UX orientation when building new products.
Team Kapwing is scrappy and creative, and we love launching random things for fun (check out Cartoonify!). We love the creators who use our product and embrace pop culture, design, music, and media trends, and we tackle tough engineering problems related to scaling video processing in the cloud. We order lunch together, go on offsites, and do a regular happy hour on Fridays.
Also, Kapwing pays full-time salaries and offers competitive health benefits. We value diversity across all dimensions and keep reasonable hours. Kapwing is based full-time in San Francisco.
Our hiring process
Our technical process is a short, behavioral interview about your past experiences, a sample of work project designed to take less than one day of work, two hours of interviews, and a lunch with our whole team. We value engineering excellence, product insight, eagerness for growth/impact, and the communication skills and empathy to collaborate well with a tight-knit team.