Head of Engineering
Engineering – Software Engineering
We are building the world's first digital immune system. Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through the innovative use of next-generation sequencing combined with advanced analytics. The company’s genomics platform is already delivering unprecedented insight into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood and helping industry accelerate drug development.
The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who are trying to solve some of the hardest cases. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our software engineers, computational biologists, data scientists, molecular biologists and full-time physicians we have on staff, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see directly how your work has life-changing effect on people, and at scale.
We are looking for a motivated and proactive engineering leader who seeks to have a strong impact in building out our computational foundation, as well as the roadmap towards a revolutionary data-first company. The ideal candidate will appreciate the ways in which we balance the scientific mindset of a research team with a pragmatic, product-oriented approach.
When was the last time you built a system that literally saves lives?
· Continue to build up the engineering organization as a high-throughput, top-quality group
· Provide deep technical guidance at both the technology stack level as well as the architecture level
· Lead the engineering road mapping efforts, maintaining both high pace and agility in execution
· Be the guardian of quality for our computational infrastructure
· Work closely with the product, analytics, medical, and scientific teams, to set our company's goals and partner in the development of our next products
· Broad software industry experience (5-10 years, in a company where software is at the heart of it)
· Deep technical knowledge (e.g., Scala/Java, React, AWS, CI, large-scale infrastructure)
· Demonstrated success building up large-scale systems
· Management experience, delivering complex products by the combination of efforts from several teams (20-30 people)
· Track record of building up world-class software teams
· Strong inspiration to work at the intersection of engineering, machine-learning, and next-generation medicine
· Enthusiasm to work in an environment in which high-pace science has a significant impact on the landscape of opportunities, and our roadmap
· MS or PhD in CS