Staff DevOps Engineer - Team Lead
Redwood City, CA (Hybrid) or Remote (USA) /
Software Engineering – Engineering /
Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,000 pathogens from a single blood sample with typical turnaround time in one business day. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, with a future vision of accelerating clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are building and operating a unique software stack of cloud infrastructure, services, APIs, and AI-driven data analytics pipelines to deliver life-saving results via effective experiences for healthcare providers in the highly complex infectious disease landscape. We believe the success of Karius products is driven by both our unique technology and the elegance of the software solution.
We seek talented and passionate individuals who want to be part of this impactful journey reaching the team’s ambitious goals, far beyond what any single individual could accomplish. The lead DevOps engineer in the team is the automation master of the engineering department. They are responsible for improving the DevOps framework, developing and operating the software engineering infrastructure that enables life-saving information delivered to physicians for treatment of harmful pathogens causing infections. This infrastructure includes the cloud infrastructure, quality and release gates, containers and clusters that run several software systems and services, and observability and monitoring tools. This role also provides the technical and project lead for the Karius DevOps team.
Why Should You Join?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Director of DevOps
Location: Redwood City, CA or Remote, USA
Pay Range: $140,000 - $210,000
• Develop and execute a roadmap to take our software infrastructure operation to the next level of scale and agility for the upcoming growth. This will include:
- Infrastructure as code, fully automated provisioning and de-provisioning of our product stack with seeds data;
- Change management and release quality gates compliant with life science and diagnostic industry regulations;
- Production monitoring and support;
- Backup and disaster recovery;
- Security and compliance of infrastructure
- Platform for automated testing and quality measurement throughout the development lifecycle;
• Mentor and support other DevOps engineers in the team
• Support the production environment. Monitor, triage, and route issues to the appropriate parties.
• Brings new ideas, designs, and tools to the table, and drives technical discussions and decision-making related to the provisioning and operation of the software stack.
Travel: No travel required; if remote, occasional travel to Redwood City, CA
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor, and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
First and foremost, you are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build elegant software. You enjoy seeing your creation work like a clock positively impacting thousands of people every year. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and ambiguous problems.
• BS or MS degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related technical fields involving algorithms or coding (e.g., physics or mathematics).
• 10+ years of software engineering and infrastructure development and operation, including:
- 4+ years of cloud engineering experience with AWS
- 2+ years of experience in running cloud services using containers and cluster management tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Helm, Kustomize);
- 2+ years of developing and operating continuous integrations and deployments; Expert knowledge and working experience with:
* Unix-based operating systems
* Automation frameworks and toolsets and specifically Terraform
* Code repositories (e.g., Git) and artifact repositories (e.g., Artifactory or ECR)
* Continuous deployment methodologies and tools (e.g., GitOps)
* Multi-account AWS architectures
* Building and running monitoring, logging, and support of production environments using tools (e.g., DataDog. ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana)
* Networking: VPCs, Route 53, DNS, load balancing, transit gateways
* Security best practices and controls (e.g., RBAC, Okta, Auth0);
* Designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems in production environments;
• Systematic problem-solving and debugging, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive;
• Ability and desire to work on and support all aspects of software development in an agile environment including documentation, design, development, and testing of features and sub-systems;
Additional Desirable Skills and Experience
• Experience in the healthcare or life sciences industry, and familiarity with related regulations.
• Passionate, purpose-driven, and excited about Karius’ mission.
• Mastered your craft yet eager to learn and grow.
• Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems.
• Ability to work independently but also be an excellent team player.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced (startup) environment.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting, and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.