Software Engineer, Backend (PHP)
Prague or Brno
Full-time Czech Republic
At Keboola, we’ve built a team culture based on learning, innovation and most importantly trust. As we’ve grown we continue to embrace the startup vibe and foster a fast-paced and challenging environment. What is unique about our company, is that everyone has a voice and is welcomed to use it. We’re global but well connected and agile. Keboola has offices and team members spanning across Europe and North America. Gartner has recognized our company as a Data Operating Systems organization.
We are looking for an experienced PHP Engineer (senior or mid-senior level) who wants to make an impact in a growing SaaS-based company. You will work with a team of experienced developers, taking care of several PHP applications and improving their speed, usability, and stability. Our "bread and butter" is working on our core services which run Keboola jobs, import/export data, manage our storage databases, and perform all the Keboola magic.
The team primarily communicates in Czech/Slovak, but you must be able to converse with other teams in English. For onboarding, you will receive a set of training materials and descriptions of the technologies we use and will participate in a Keboola onboarding program.
What we do and you'll do
- Improve, maintain, and extend our existing features.
- Brainstorm and design new features in collaboration with our product team.
- Refactor our legacy services and enhance the quality of our codebase to support a cloud-agnostic architecture across AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Test our code and provide code reviews for other team members.
- Actively participate in the design of technical features (participate in design documentation and RFCs).
- Share knowledge and experience in new areas and technologies with individuals outside your team.
- Assist your closest peers.
What do we use
- PHP with frameworks like Symfony and Zend1 (yes, really).
- MySQL and ElasticSearch to store our data.
- Docker for running our apps.
- Cloud services from GCP, Azure, and AWS.
- Terraform for the management of resources of our services.
- GitHub for storing code and Azure DevOps and GitHub Actions for running our build and deploy pipelines.
- OpenAPI an Apiary for specifications of our APIs.
- Scrum best practices for organizing our work.
- Snowflake or BigQuery as analytical databases (as our storage backends).
What we look for and what are the skills you need to have
- 3+ years of experience as a PHP engineer running production services.
- Experience with software engineering concepts and problem-solving.
- Familiarity with large codebases and experience with refactoring.
- Ability to use and build web services (REST).
- Awareness of Twelve-Factor App principles (so you will know whether or not a service features best practices).
- A technical understanding of concepts and how they fit into the "big picture."
- An orientation towards results, and the drive to complete a task from beginning to end if needed; a willingness to take ownership.
- Patience and a keen eye for details.
- Being a bug hunter, but knowing what is enough.
- A readiness to ask for help.
- A team player, not an independent worker (We work as a team).
- Self-organization and self-discipline.
- Effective problem management.
And also basic soft skills like:
A little bit more about the opportunity
- Autonomy within your position. We are focused on outcomes, not micromanaging everything that you do. We love free company movement.
- Work with great brands both locally and worldwide. Ask us who we were working with!
- Work with new industry-leading data technologies.
- The opportunity to create the job you want that fits in with the life you want. We know there is life outside of work, and think fulfilment is achieved when all areas of your life fit together.
- We believe the best people are a bit weird and have an inner engine that drives them.
- We strive to push people for career development.
You can look forward to the following benefits
- Competitive compensation and employee stock options pre-IPO.
- Generous paid vacation time. And we mean generous.
- Cool new offices in the heart of Holesovice in Prague.
- We are a company born in the cloud means we are relatively location independent. Want to take an extra-long trip while working on the beach (or forest, or desert?), go ahead - make sure to send us a postcard.
- No set office hours and flexibility (aside from when you are placed on-call to support customers).
Keboola’s Core Values
- Care, love and respect
- No BS
- Get your stuff done and do a bit more
- Create and innovate
- One team
Come One, Come All
Keboola provides equal employment opportunities to all employees, consultants, and applicants for employment. We do not discriminate on any basis. Here’s the thing: we don’t care what color you are, who you pray to, what gender you identify with, if you have tattoos or your hair is blue. We hire based on skill and culture fit. It really is that simple.
More About Keboola
Every day Keboola connects data, systems, and people to do their best work all in one place. Keboola is a hybrid, multi-cloud data platform that reduces your day-to-day complexity with data by streamlining and automating your data processes and systems, creating a scalable data structure that works best for you, and aligns business and IT in a secure environment so they can do meaningful work together. Hundreds of innovative companies use Keboola to unlock their data-driven power. The company has offices in Chicago, Vancouver, London, and Prague. For more information, connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook or visit keboola.com.